Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

M1 Carbine newbie...

Article about: My cousin Marco got in on the action as well:

Default M1 Carbine newbie...

Hello all!

I finally bit the bullet and am purchasing my first firearm. I am deeply pasionate about history (hence being a history teacher)... but to be honest I could not justify owning a weapon (To some extent I kind of fear them... maybe respect is the right word to use instead of fear... and I am not a hunter and could never kill anything).

BUT... I recently learned that during the war, IBM made M1 Carbines and B.A.R.s in the facility VERY near to where I live. Because of this, I just HAD to own one.

I went to the local gunshop, and luckily they had an IBM in stock. From what I understand, according to the serial number, the reciever was made by IBM in early 1944. The barrel was made by IBM in 2-43 (Feb. 1943), and it has the flaming bomb Army Ordinance stamp. The metal components of my rifle show some wear (this seems obvious to me... as it's almost 70years old!)... but it seems like it's been well cared for. The barrel obviously has some wear, but it has good rifling.

The stock has a National Postal Meter NPM/FJA stamp in the wood, along with a few other markings that I will investigate soon. The stock is dinged and scratched up, but is solid and is in overall good condition. The stock has two holes on the side which the gunsmith believes were caused by an emblem or badge of somesort that was attached to it at some point. I guess these aspects of the rifle are not ideal in terms of collecting, but I really appreciate this because it is the history of this individual firearm. It means to me that this rifle saw some action, it wasn't packed away for it's entire existance or on display for 60+ years. Plus, as a first time gun owner, I didn't really want something that's in mint condition... I'd be too worried about wrecking it (It would sort of be like owning a Ferrari as a 16year old and then crashing it).

My carbine has a bayonet lug, post ww2 rear sight, and screw barrel band... so I believe that means the rifle was refitted after WW2 and could have seen action in Korea or Vietnam.

Finally, the barrel has "Georgia, VT" stamped onto it. If I understand this correctly, this means that my rifle was used in Israel for some time. "Georgia, VT" is the import mark of Century Arms International. Also, it appears that Century Arms stamped the serial number into the stock.

I am currently paying off this rifle... it cost $800, but should be paid off within a few weeks. I'm assuming the high price is due to the fact that IBM only made about 6% of the 6 million or so carbines that were produced during the war. There were cheaper, non IBM carbines at this particular gunshop, but they were in worse condition. There was also a "mint condition" IBM there for about $1000... but it looked too good to be true, and I put it down in favor of this more salty looking rifle.

Obviously it is still at the gunshop until I can pay it off, so I do not have good pictures of it. BUT, I was so excited that I snapped this picture with my cell phone... probably not a good idea... but I decided to try my luck

SO! How do you guys think I did? I know you fine gentlemen probably can not tell me much without pictures... but I promise to post high quality photos soon!

Default Re: M1 Carbine newbie...

personally the price was brilliant as in the uk a deact one of these is £800 and you got it less than that so a big well done there the rifle seems in good condition from the picture shown obviously it isn't fully matched because of the sight and the barrel lug but it is a damn good start and you should be happy with it try and get a few accessories ie bayonet (maybe with same date as the barrel) maybe a magazine pouch for the stock, oil bottle, sling that sort of stuff to complete it because when you have got it all you will be even happier
    big well done

tom

Very interesting way to hold the bolt back if I may say so There is a way you can hold it back you know... On the bolt there is a tiny tip sticking out of it, when you pull the bolt as far back as you can(In the position it is in in the pic) push the little tip down, the tip will go into a little slide and hold it in place, to get it out of this position, just pull the bolt back a tiny bit.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Quote by talltom View Post
    personally the price was brilliant as in the uk a deact one of these is £800 and you got it less than that so a big well done there the rifle seems in good condition from the picture shown obviously it isn't fully matched because of the sight and the barrel lug but it is a damn good start and you should be happy with it try and get a few accessories ie bayonet (maybe with same date as the barrel) maybe a magazine pouch for the stock, oil bottle, sling that sort of stuff to complete it because when you have got it all you will be even happier
    big well done

tom
    Thanks for the kind words! The picture makes the stock look a lot better than it actually is. But to be completely honest, I wanted something that I could shoot and not have to worry about dinging or denting. This is my first firearm, so I wanted something I could learn with...

I have my eye on a few accessories already... I want a period stock ammo pouch and oiler/ sling!

Quote by colletorww2 View Post
    Very interesting way to hold the bolt back if I may say so There is a way you can hold it back you know... On the bolt there is a tiny tip sticking out of it, when you pull the bolt as far back as you can(In the position it is in in the pic) push the little tip down, the tip will go into a little slide and hold it in place, to get it out of this position, just pull the bolt back a tiny bit.
    The gun shop did that for safety reasons. All of the firearms in their store have a plastic zip-tie holding the breech open. I guess they do this so wack-jobs can't load up the weapons and go on a shooting spree in their shop?

That is a pretty good price for m1 carbine. Yes it is a referb rifle. I got one like it to except it is inland and one part by Roc-cola. They would have seen action in Korea or could have been given to post war governments.

Hopefully we cans see better pics soon

?

Gizmo8z very nice. Word of advice don't take this artifact to school with you.

Quote by Franz1944 View Post
    That is a pretty good price for m1 carbine. Yes it is a referb rifle. I got one like it to except it is inland and one part by Roc-cola. They would have seen action in Korea or could have been given to post war governments.

Hopefully we cans see better pics soon
    Based on the information I gave, isn't it probable that it was used during WW2 aswell?

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Gizmo8z very nice. Word of advice don't take this artifact to school with you.
    LOL! Trust me, this one is only for personal enjoyment only

The bayonets were a very late WW2 item so if you want an authentic WW2 piece then no need to get one. Also the bayonet lug should be easily removed and the rear sight replaced with the WW2-era flip=over sight. That said, unless you want it to appear WW2, I'd probably be inclined to leave it as is. Who knows how many stocks the barrel and receiver may have had over the years - like an "original" broom that has had 4 new handles and 3 new heads but is claimed to be original.

Leave as is and there's a story and character with the various mods.

Quote by skypilot View Post
    Leave as is and there's a story and character with the various mods.
    I plan to keep it as is. I really do appreciate the post ww2 history of these rifles.

My girlfriend's grandpa carried one of these in Korea... He was injured and had severe wounds to his face, arms, and legs. I guess a med-evac helicopter came in to pick up other wounded soldiers and the only reason he was put on that chopper was to even out the weight... the medics thought he wasn't going to make it. He lost both legs, a hand, and was completely blind, but he survived. In fact, he lived a good life, had lots of kids and ran a newsstand at a court house. He outlived all of his war buddies and passed away this past year.

I went ahead and paid off the M1 Carbine and brought it home.

I have pretty much all the guide books imaginable, but a lot of things about this rifle have me stumped... I guess that was bound to happen considering how these things were built from parts bins and were updated by various nations after World War II.

Any guidance on what the stamps and markings mean would be GREATLY appreciated!

Along side my "The Pacific" prop M1 Garand

View of the receiver:

Side view of the receiver. You can see the post war flip safety. The mag release is marked "OO" over "M"

Barrel is stamped "I.B.M. Corp 9 -43" Meaning it was made in September of 1943. The barrel also has the Army Ordinance flaming bomb stamp. Oddly enough, it's missing the "P" proof mark that I've heard is all-important.

Here we can see a "*U*" stamping... and the serial number that the importer stamped onto the stock.

National Postal Meter cartouche on the stock

This has me a little scared... the stock has a crack near where the mag is inserted into the receiver.

Seems clean, with not much wear

Two holes on the side of the stock on the left side of the receiver. Where a scope was attached?

Mystery stamping on the right side of the stock under the rear sight

Stampings on the bottom of the pistol grip

"TN" stamped into the cut out part where the sling attaches.

IBM Corp. and part of the serial number

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast