Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Garand In The Box

Article about: I've posted some pics of my M1 Garand as boxed when I purchased it in 1995 from Roses department store. Its a Winchester that I believe was made in December 1942 or 1943 based on the serial

?

Default M1 Garand In The Box

I've posted some pics of my M1 Garand as boxed when I purchased it in 1995 from Roses department store. Its a Winchester that I believe was made in December 1942 or 1943 based on the serial number, but need to recheck. You can see that it came from Korea and has been rebuilt, like most. Still, a neat rifle that I got at a good price many years ago. Wife was not too happy at the time but a good investment. Any comments or additional information would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Garand In The Box   M1 Garand In The Box  

M1 Garand In The Box   M1 Garand In The Box  

Nice rifle! I've purchased several through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) All have been good shooters and in good condition-Recommend them!!

USRifleCAL30M1.com It's in pretty good shape for being a Korean return.

?

Nice weapon. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Produce in Nov or Dec of 1942 with rebuild features. What is the barrel date? Nice rifle and thanks for sharing. Not too many guns to see on this forum.
    John

Nice one!A mixmaster but a Winchester receiver helps,yes they are a good investment!

?

According to the Duff book on page 122,production is about 350,000, Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Thanks for the replies and information everyone. Actually buying the this rifle was an interesting experience in itself. Weeks earlier I had seen another Garand on display at another store but it was pretty beat up. Nonetheless was shocked to see it. When I saw it advertised in my town, I jumped on it. By the time I got to the store a day or two later they had sold out. I added my name to a waiting list and about one month later got a call. The store had about 30 or 40 rifles total and I went through every box! All but two were Springfields. The manager tried to talk me into buying one of these (most of these were in a little better condition) but I opted for the Winchester, thinking it was a rarer. Anyway, it was a neat experience as it was my first gun purchase. My wife and I had a young daughter at the time and were barely making ends meet so not the best time to buy.....plus my inlaws were at the house......everyone gave me the evil eye.

In a couple of weeks a new store ad came out. They had a WWII Russian semi-auto (Tokarauf??) for the same price ($299).....could not believe it. I wish I'd had the money. Of course, it was too many years later that Roses in this region went out of business.

Thanks again for you comments.

Tom