Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M16A1 Rifle

Article about: Thanks for that anwser Dave. I had always thought that only AR-15's were sold to civillians not the M-16. Now I have to have one, thanks alot Burt

?

Default M16A1 Rifle

Hello everybody, heres my first weapons thread..This is my M16 that has just turned up today. I will take some better photos when I have time also ill find some attachments too.. I have about another 10 weapons I will post as & when. You will have to excuse the mutt but he wouldnt move while the Missus was taking the photos.Cheers Terry & Aly, "Ludo the mutt"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16A1 Rifle   M16A1 Rifle  

M16A1 Rifle   M16A1 Rifle  

Default Re: M16A1 Rifle

Nice rifle, Does it have auto? I can't see below the selector?

Thanks

Burt

?

Wow, do I remember carrying one of those!! Nice example and thanks for sharing the pictures with us!

?

Hello Burt no it hasnt got auto!! does that make much difference? It is also de-act being that I live in the UK...It was at a good price for Britain noramlly about 200 or 300 pounds more so I thought lets go for it!! "like you do" Cheers Terry.

Beautiful, always wanted one, working
    But I collect only from WW2, not even ww1 or Korea

?

Thanks Mark I remember my old Sergeant carrying one in Northern Ireland,South Armagh back in the 80s!!! Cheers Terry.

Tango, I had thought that all of the M16s had full auto and the AR-15 was semi. Throughout my military career most of the weapons I used were AR-15's with a replacement full auto sear and selector installed. I never got to shoot one of the M-16's until I got deployed a couple of years ago and it was a three round burst version. I'm sure there will be someone who can answer this question as to wether or not the M-16 was made in semi only. Either way I do like your example of a early model US combat rifle. I always liked the triangle forestock on these.

Thanks

Burt

?

Cheers Burt yeah come to think of it I thought this version of weapon came with both selections single shot & fully auto!!! I dont know hopefully somebody will know the answer!! I like it!!!.. Its a nice looking weapon very different from all my WW2 rifles & SMGs...The Missus couldnt get over how light it is compared against say the Thompson which to me feels heavy on a good day!! lol.. Cheers Terry.

The safety for the M16A1 is rather peculiar-the safety is set for semi auto, then safe and full auto at the rear position-until the rifle is cocked, the safety can't be moved from the safe position-our army used them as scout rifles replacing the F1 SMG with the regular army and sometimes with the reserve and school cadets-were replaced with the AUG Steyr in the late 1980s onwards.

Quote by Tango View Post
    Cheers Burt yeah come to think of it I thought this version of weapon came with both selections single shot & fully auto!!! I dont know hopefully somebody will know the answer!! I like it!!!.. Its a nice looking weapon very different from all my WW2 rifles & SMGs...The Missus couldnt get over how light it is compared against say the Thompson which to me feels heavy on a good day!! lol.. Cheers Terry.
    hi terry for the bad news my friend what you have bought is the civilian version which was released in 1963 and under US law at the time 3 shot bursts and fully auto-matic were illegal so thats why colt designed this version which was only allowed 2 selector safe and semi-automatic,and the m16 and all the variants that have been made were all part of the ar15 family which colt bought the rights to in 1959 from armilite industries who went bust,and colt allowed other MFGs to produce the m16 as well all the best dave.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast