Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M1917 American Enfield

Article about: Interesting twist... A local gun shop near me has two for sale... a Winchester and a Remington... both mint. HOWEVER, they came out of a VFW and the stocks are painted white. I really have n

Default Re: M1917 American Enfield

Interesting twist...

A local gun shop near me has two for sale... a Winchester and a Remington... both mint.

HOWEVER, they came out of a VFW and the stocks are painted white.

I really have no experience with refinishing stocks... Do you gents think this would be a project worth taking on?

I'd think it would be pretty straightforward mate, strip it down and sand/stain as needed. Might be a nice reason to get the price down too.

Here is a link to a Danish gun dealer...Rifles and Pistols.

In Denmark the American Enfield m1917 rifle is called Gevær m53(17)...Gevr M/53 (17)

Regards
    Replace

Thanks, Replace... I'll check it out.

I'm going to check the white parade M1917s out after work today... I'm leary that they would have been deactivated if meant for parade use...

So... I went to the gun shop today and checked out both of the white M1917s. Both are as the shop owner stated: "Mint except for the stocks." The problem is, the shop owner knows that Winchester and Remington M1917s are more desirable than Eddystone's and he has priced them high.

I tried talking him down, but it was to no avail. I put a $100 deposit on the Winchester M1917...

I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew...

M1917 American EnfieldM1917 American EnfieldM1917 American EnfieldM1917 American Enfield

What colour is the 'blueing'?-should be a brownish colour if original on a US M1917.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1917 American Enfield  

?

The color guard rifles of various organizations were often used to fire blanks during ceremonies (whether painted white or not). Check the bore well, as they were seldom cleaned immediately after such events. The best one I ever found had a broken firing pin and a mint 1918 dated Winchester barrel because it sat in the weapons rack due to the broken pin. I replaced the firing pin and it was good to go.

Original stocks in very good condition with correct cartouches can be pricey.

I disagree with prior statement that matched period barrels and receivers are difficult to find, the challenge can be to find one with a minty bore.
    Regards,
    John

Quote by lithgow View Post
    What colour is the 'blueing'?-should be a brownish colour if original on a US M1917.
    I think the bluing is the correct color...

Quote by relicz View Post
    The color guard rifles of various organizations were often used to fire blanks during ceremonies (whether painted white or not). Check the bore well, as they were seldom cleaned immediately after such events. The best one I ever found had a broken firing pin and a mint 1918 dated Winchester barrel because it sat in the weapons rack due to the broken pin. I replaced the firing pin and it was good to go.

Original stocks in very good condition with correct cartouches can be pricey.

I disagree with prior statement that matched period barrels and receivers are difficult to find, the challenge can be to find one with a minty bore.
    This particular rifle has a barrel marked: W, flaming bomb, 6-18.

The SN is: 3218XX

It has two eagle head proofs on the top of the receiver with a flaming bomb proof on the left side.

The bolt handle is marked: "SN W" and has another flaming bomb

There is another W on the bayonet lug...

All of the metal parts were in great shape but still exhibited age. The chamber and bore were minty. No signs of having been deactivated and then made into a live-fire rifle again...

?

Joe,
    I would be very hesitant to do any sanding on your rifle. Stripping the paint with any paint remover I know of will most likely also strip the original stain, if any is left, under the paint. If you sand it you are most probably going round off the sharp edges on the hand guard and grasping grooves on the stock and possibly some of the cartouches. Any sanding will severely reduce the value of the rifle. By the way does the stock have the W in the very front of the stock? If it was my rifle and all the markings are intact I would not do anything to it and enjoy it for what it is. However it is your rifle and if you feel the need to try to restore it I wish you good luck in your project.

Quote by samnev View Post
    Joe,
    I would be very hesitant to do any sanding on your rifle. Stripping the paint with any paint remover I know of will most likely also strip the original stain, if any is left, under the paint. If you sand it you are most probably going round off the sharp edges on the hand guard and grasping grooves on the stock and possibly some of the cartouches. Any sanding will severely reduce the value of the rifle. By the way does the stock have the W in the very front of the stock? If it was my rifle and all the markings are intact I would not do anything to it and enjoy it for what it is. However it is your rifle and if you feel the need to try to restore it I wish you good luck in your project.
    Hi Sam,

I don't own this rifle just yet... I just put some money down to hold it. The white is so thick that I can't see any markings on the stock... If I were to restore it, I'd just strip off the white and avoid any other sanding if possible.

I am starting to think that I should pass this one up and go for something cheaper/ something that wont require a restore job...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast