Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun

Article about: I hope you like these pictures of a Browning 1917A1 machine gun.This example is a WW2 manufactured gun made at Rock Island Arsenal, it has steel nose cap and trunnion, as opposed to brass on

?

Default Re: M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I think some people add a soluble oil now purely to help anti corrosion. The British used asbestos string to pack the glands originally but it's not going to be very nice stuff to use now.
    In the past, I've used water pump lubricant purchased from the local auto parts store. But, it really is unneeded. When I'm done shooting, I drain the water jacket while the water is still hot and remove the barrel. The water evaporates almost immediately with no chance of rust forming within the water jacket or on the barrel.

Asbestos packing material is impossible to find today and handling it could be dangerous to your health. I have found that silicon rubber O-rings are a better choice to use. They are easy to use, relatively low cost, and readily available.

I'm pretty sure that if silicon or any other rubber seal was available at the start of the 20th century, JMB or Maxim would have been very pleased and if they were still here they would certainly approve of this modification. I'm all for moding firearms where no permanent alterations are carried out.

?

For those interested, here is a link to a web site containing hundreds of firearms manuals:
    Select the Manual From the Chart Below

Look down the page in the far right column and find "Browning 1917A1 Shop Manual". Click on the link and you will see a copy of a 1943 Rock Island Arsenal manual used to rebuild 1917A1s. This manual has parts diagrams and parts descriptions that may be of interest to some.

PS: I'm getting some advertising crap placed after the first paragraph and overlaying the link. I'm adding this PS to force the ad to move. At times I hate computers...

Great looking Machinegun!!!

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I think some people add a soluble oil now purely to help anti corrosion. The British used asbestos string to pack the glands originally but it's not going to be very nice stuff to use now.
    I was taught to use radiator rust preventive by Bob Faris, Dolf's good friend, and a good friend of mine and have used it in all my water cooled MG's, 1910 Maxim, Vicker's, 1917/28, Chinese Type 24 and MG 15. Not any corrosion in 16 years of use.
    Last edited by samnev; 03-09-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The hose allowed steam to pass down into the can and condensate as water, which could then be poured back into the gun. Water supply is always an issue on the battlefield.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks
    Now I can sleep at night knowing I have acquired even more esoteric knowledge I will never use.
    But who knows ? Maybe a winning lottery ticket will blow in my window and that weapon is among the top ten I would buy if money were no object.

Thumbs up

Guys, I have an M1919A4 that's a converted M1917, see pic below, it's an early number but do you have any idea of manuf date ?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4