Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun

Article about: I hope you like these pictures of a Browning 1917A1 machine gun.This example is a WW2 manufactured gun made at Rock Island Arsenal, it has steel nose cap and trunnion, as opposed to brass on

Default M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun

I hope you like these pictures of a Browning 1917A1 machine gun.This example is a WW2 manufactured gun made at Rock Island Arsenal, it has steel nose cap and trunnion, as opposed to brass on the WW1 guns.The ammo tin is the 30cal M1A1, which incorporates a catch to enable it to fix to the tripod.
    Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun   M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun  

M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun   M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun  

M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun   M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun  

M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun  

Default Re: M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun

It is a thing of beauty

Excellent piece of hardware ! !

Do you know any history behind it, or the date of manufacture?

Hi,
    I don't have any history of the gun, but the tripod was supplied under the Marshall plan to Greece in the 1950's.After they finished using the M1917A1's, they used the tripods with the M18 recoilless rifle. Some of these have turned up for sale here, but are about $4,000.The guns were only made between 1942 and 1945 and i'm guessing mine was built in about 1943.
    Good luck with your collecting, I see you are serious about wanting to collect guns, but obviously your age is a barrier at the moment, but a word of advice,the guns are relatively easy to find, but the accessories can be really hard to locate.I've collected the accessories and got a gun much later, you don't need a licence for them, and if you study the subject you can pick up some real bargains for a little cash,
    Pete.

This is a rare bird to find in the UK. I can only ever recall a handful being for sale.

Very nice Pete

Cheers, Ade.

Reg
    ?

Thats in great nic Pete!

Cheers
    Reg

Any chance of some more pics mate, this is a gun I've been looking for for about 15 years in the UK. I know there are some here, but no where to be found!

harleys
    ?

Hello,excellent piece!!
    I'm trying to find one of this m1917 for my Jeep and is not posible, do you know any for sale in Europe?
    If not, I have one replica and I want to paint similar as your gun,what is the finish or paint cover type(parkerized,paint...)?
    Many thanks.

?

Question Re: M1917A1 water cooled Browning machine gun

Phoenix;

I just discovered this forum and saw your RIA 1917A1. It is very nice indeed. I acquired a DEWAT RIA 1917A1 a year ago and am in the process of re-activating it. I am awaiting my re-activation approval from BATFE before I begin any actual work. My gun is an early example in the s/n range 317XXX and has a brass end cap and trunion.

I am looking for some specific detailed information to assure my restoration is as accurate as possible. Would it be possible to get a few more close up pictures of your 1917A1? In particular, close up photos of the front and back of the rear sight, any markings along the top edge of the left side plate (there should be a small "flaming bomb" stamp there), and detail of the markings on the right side plate (looking for any unusual undocumented markings).

As you know surviving examples of original 1917A1 are as rare as hen's teeth and I do not want to make a mistake during my restoration.

Thank you,

Dan...

Quote by phoenix View Post
    I hope you like these pictures of a Browning 1917A1 machine gun.This example is a WW2 manufactured gun made at Rock Island Arsenal, it has steel nose cap and trunnion, as opposed to brass on the WW1 guns.The ammo tin is the 30cal M1A1, which incorporates a catch to enable it to fix to the tripod.
    Pete.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast