Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1A1 Paratrooper Carbine

Article about: 'Band Of Brothers' was focused on E 'Easy' Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th. Should be 'Easy' to research ! Nice Carbine.........!

MAP
    ?

Default M1A1 Paratrooper Carbine

Here is what I think is an early WWII M1A1 Paratrooper Carbine. Had it checked by a local WWII firearms expert and he gave me the thumbs up. Even if not 100% with some arsenal rebuild the price was right.

- type 1 barrel bands,
    - Flip rear site
    - bottom of pistol grip is marked with a small cross cannons cartouche and a faint OI (picture does not really show it but it's there)
    - High wood stock.
    - early Serial number 260xxx.
    - Barrel dated 3-1943.
    - With Jump bag.
    - No bluing. All Parkerized

All parts appear to be Inland but....
    - Mag release is marked either IM or WI (not sure if that is Inland) but could not get a clear picture of it.
    - Front barrel band appears to be unmarked.
    - Leather cheek pad is darker brown with brass rivets. I have heard that they should always be black unless replaced, but then I've heard that there were also original brown cheek pads.

I didn't "buy the story" but was told that this was owned/brought home by a Colonel James Comerford of the 101st Airborne 506th Reg. Does anyone know if I can verify if there was a James Comerford in the 101st Airborne? Like I said, I didn't buy the story but was just checking if there was such a man.

Michael

M1A1 Paratrooper CarbineM1A1 Paratrooper CarbineM1A1 Paratrooper CarbineM1A1 Paratrooper CarbineM1A1 Paratrooper CarbineM1A1 Paratrooper CarbineM1A1 Paratrooper CarbineM1A1 Paratrooper Carbine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1A1 Paratrooper Carbine  
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Nice looking carbine. Can you take some photos of the rivets, both sides. Brass rivets are normal, they used automobile break pad rivets and the darkness on the leather was probably the result of the leather being oil soaked , Ray

Great Find Michael.
    From what I can see from your photos is an early carbine and it appears to be correct. The story apprears to be just that... a story. But never the less the carbine is very nice.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

MAP
    ?

Quote by RayG View Post
    Nice looking carbine. Can you take some photos of the rivets, both sides. Brass rivets are normal, they used automobile break pad rivets and the darkness on the leather was probably the result of the leather being oil soaked , Ray
    Ray...Funny, I had pics of the cheek pad and the rivets but for some reason didn't upload.

Will upload when I get home tonight.

thanks for your comments.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Great looking carbine!.....

MAP
    ?

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    Great Find Michael.
    From what I can see from your photos is an early carbine and it appears to be correct. The story apprears to be just that... a story. But never the less the carbine is very nice.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.

John
    John...Thanks. Had it apart a while ago to check the stampings inside as well and it all appears to be good. These just keep going up in price. Very glad to have such an early model.

Yes......probably just a story but would be great if I could get a roster of the 506th....

?

Sweet looking rifle!!

MAP
    ?

Quote by RayG View Post
    Ray,

Here are the close ups. Had to use the flash so some pics are somewhat wash out but it's all there to see.

Appreciate all your and Johns feedback

Michael

M1A1 Paratrooper CarbineM1A1 Paratrooper CarbineM1A1 Paratrooper CarbineM1A1 Paratrooper Carbine

James W. Comerford
    James W. Comerford, of Bethpage, died on Aug. 3, 2004. He was a US Army veteran serving with the 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles Division during the Battle of the Bulge. He was a 43-year member of FDNY and a 45-year member of the Bethpage Volunteer Fire Dept., Engine Company #6 and #7. He was a member of Archie McCord American Legion Post #86 and Butehorn Bros. VFW Post #4987. Jim was a active supporter of many organizations within his community including Town of Oyster Bay hockey coach, swim-meet starter and member of the Central Park Historical Society. Husband of Mary (nee Hickey). Father of Mark and Nona, Susan and Maureen, Corey and Kathy and Craig and Terry. Grandfather of Kristin, Michael, Katherine, Kathleen and Mary Bridget. Uncle of many nieces and nephews. Arrangements were made by the Arthur F. White Funeral Home. Funeral Mass at St. Martin of Tours RC Church. Interment LI National Cemetery, Pinelawn.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

MAP
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    James W. Comerford
    James W. Comerford, of Bethpage, died on Aug. 3, 2004. He was a US Army veteran serving with the 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles Division during the Battle of the Bulge. He was a 43-year member of FDNY and a 45-year member of the Bethpage Volunteer Fire Dept., Engine Company #6 and #7. He was a member of Archie McCord American Legion Post #86 and Butehorn Bros. VFW Post #4987. Jim was a active supporter of many organizations within his community including Town of Oyster Bay hockey coach, swim-meet starter and member of the Central Park Historical Society. Husband of Mary (nee Hickey). Father of Mark and Nona, Susan and Maureen, Corey and Kathy and Craig and Terry. Grandfather of Kristin, Michael, Katherine, Kathleen and Mary Bridget. Uncle of many nieces and nephews. Arrangements were made by the Arthur F. White Funeral Home. Funeral Mass at St. Martin of Tours RC Church. Interment LI National Cemetery, Pinelawn.
    Wagriff......Wow.....That is amazing. I can not thank you enough.....

I googled like crazy for a long time and came up empty.

This matches perfectly with the story of the gentleman friend of mine of whom I purchased the carbine from. They lived in the same area and I think knew each other. So even though there is not a notorized document, I myself will hope and believe in my friends "story" and pass it down to my kids when the inherit this rifle some day.....Imagine the history of this rifle......the Battle of the Bulge and maybe even D-Day.....OK, I'm getting too excited and will stop now

fyi....for others, the 506th/Screaming Eagles were also the regiment featured in the movie, Band of Brothers.

Thanks again Wagriff.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast