Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MA LITHGOW S.M.L.E III 1940. 303 Rifle

Article about: Hey guys. I've had this MA LITHGOW S.M.L.E III 1940 for a few years now. The stock is a light colour. It has NZ with an arrow in the middle stamped on it and a crown with two crossed flags u

?

Default MA LITHGOW S.M.L.E III 1940. 303 Rifle

Hey guys.
    I've had this MA LITHGOW S.M.L.E III 1940 for a few years now.
    The stock is a light colour.
    It has NZ with an arrow in the middle stamped on it and a crown with two crossed
    flags under it.It also has an "A" within a star shape stamped on it.
    Does anyone know where it was made?
    Why is the stock a light colour? Almost sand colour. For North Africa???
    And why is there a gold coloured coin in the butt???? King George the sixth.
    Is it a rare rifle??? Worth???
    It's numbers all match, bolt, rifle.Mint condition.
    Thanks

Default Re: MA LITHGOW S.M.L.E III 1940. 303 Rifle

Could you post a picture?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Hey.
    Here she is.
    I know she has been cut down for hunting, but I still like her.
    Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MA LITHGOW S.M.L.E III 1940. 303 Rifle   MA LITHGOW S.M.L.E III 1940. 303 Rifle  

MA LITHGOW S.M.L.E III 1940. 303 Rifle   MA LITHGOW S.M.L.E III 1940. 303 Rifle  

Hello-a bit surprised that a New Zealander doesn't know that N'arrow'Z indicates acceptance and use by NZ military forces-the crossed lances surmounted by the crown is a barrel proof mark-the A within the sunburst on the butt plate is an early Lithgow production proof mark-the coin appears to be filling the hole where the unit stock disc (made of brass) would normaly be placed-the lighter coloured wood is probably Queensland Maple-wood on service rifles tends to darken over time as oil and dirt gets ingrained-early (pre July) 1940 rifles are rare as only 3,480 were made in the 39/40 financial year but production picked up in 40/41 to 35,000. Being sporterised will however lower its value to a collector. It was made at the Lithgow Small arms factory in NSW-makers of weapons for the Commonwealth of Australia and beyond for both World Wars and many lesser hot spots.

?

Thanks mate.
    lol, I knew what the N"arrow"Z stood for, but that's all I knew about it.
    How can I tell when in 1940 it was made?
    Good to know it's Aussie made.
    The stock has had a light varnish put on it to keep it looking new (not by me).
    I'm guessing they gave it a light sanding too.
    I use it to hunt deer and so did the owner before me.
    But if it was collectable I would put it away.

Difficult to say-most collectors won't touch a sporterised example although some may restore a rifle to 'original' condition if possible but then it's not truly original and that counts for a great deal amongst collectors-a group of folks that tend towards the obsessive-that would lower the value but it is a low production example-I would try the local NZ Military Historical society to get their advice on value as I understand its a long process to export a gun from NZ even to Australia. Apparently there's a major auction that takes place in July in Wellington annually organised by them.

?

Thanks mate.

Chris117
    ?

Hi I'm new to the threads. A also live in new Zealand and have a MA LITHGOW S.M.L.E III 1940. However it is not stamped with a n^z instead it has an s^s. It also has some other interesting markings, but I'm mainly concerned with what the s^s means. I'l post some pictures tomorrow. The rifle also has an offset scope mount like in call of duty 2, I'm not sure if this is original sniper, however, as the rifle has been sporterised

?

Would like to see it mate.

?

I finally got the serial range I've been looking for.

The production number for the financial year 39-40 was 3480. Serial number for June ’39 is B24300 and serial for June ’40 is B27780.
    For your interest, serial number B25000 is recorded as 3rd Sep 1939.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast