Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Martini Henry

Article about: Not often I venture into this part of the forum, but now I have! I own a Martini Henry Short Lever that I got from a family member. No idea where he got it from, and he doesn't remember eith

Default Martini Henry

Not often I venture into this part of the forum, but now I have! I own a Martini Henry Short Lever that I got from a family member. No idea where he got it from, and he doesn't remember either. I have tried opening the lever but it does not stay open, and the breech does not drop much more than half an inch or so, giving only a view of the top of where a cartridge would be loaded. Wondering if any of you know the problem and how I may fix it? Thanks in advance!

It may need a strip and good clean. Don’t worry that it snaps shut, it won’t stay open until it’s been fully opened and re-cocked the striker.

?

I would love to see some pic's of it if possible.
    I always found these interesting.
    So what caliber is it?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Can't get any pictures right now.. At school. Can tell you there's some rust (Not sure how deep. Looks like surface rust.. I don't think there's much pitting). Not sure what caliber it is, either. None of my family knew nor did the seller. I got very little to work with unfortunately.

Martini Henry rifles are usually chambered in .577/450. It’s considered an ‘obsolete caliber’ in the UK, meaning they can be owned in live-firing condition. It’s not a round you’re likely to find in significant quantities. Cartridges are collectible in their own right.

Some rifles were rechambered, into .303 if I recall correctly.

Regards, B.B.

I've seen a few .303 Brit from Nepal hit the market 8-10 years ago.

There are no Martini Henry's in .303 calibre... although many Martini Henry's were converted to .303 and re-named the Martini Enfield.

Cheers,
    Steve

I have a Martini Enfield Carbine which I love. It’s ex Royal Fleet Auxiliary from the days when they were obviously armed on board so likely WW1.

My dad has a Greener Police shotgun based on an old Martini action but the original markings have been scrubbed.