Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Martini Henry, Sight Cover.

Article about: Could anyone have any info on this item ? I beleive it is a rear sight cover for the MH rifle, I have searched for info on this but so far zilch........what I can tell you is it is nickel or

Default Martini Henry, Sight Cover.

Could anyone have any info on this item ? I beleive it is a rear sight cover for the MH rifle, I have searched for info on this but so far zilch........what I can tell you is it is nickel or chrome plated, hinged in the middle and the stamping reads as follows 'REIDS PROTECTOR' 'PATENT 16229'.......sorry about quality of photos, taken this evening under bad light, will do some better ones in the daylight.

There is a paper chart stuck to the inside of the cover which is range adjustments for .303 calibre so I guess for a MH rebarrelled for the .303 cartridge.

I think that there was a leather site protector for the MH which was for military issue but I'm guessing that this was more likely for the civilian market given the finish.

Any one know anything about Reids and the patent...?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Martini Henry, Sight Cover.   Martini Henry, Sight Cover.  

Martini Henry, Sight Cover.  

?

If non broad arrow marked, this item would be a private purchases piece, and would not have any military numbering for issue.
    Therefore, the only real info would be via the manufacturers, or possibly though period adverts in associated gun magazines.

(303 would place the MH late 1890's at least.)

Or, try here ....

Martini Henry Rifles

Gary J.