Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Matched byf 44 K98

Article about: Hey guys,I am slowly venturing into firearms. obviously Third Reich, lol..... I am being offered two different K98s... this being the first... as far as I know, everything matches. A friend

?

Default Matched byf 44 K98

Hey guys,I am slowly venturing into firearms. obviously Third Reich, lol..... I am being offered two different K98s... this being the first... as far as I know, everything matches. A friend of mine is seeking both the rifles. I have a couple questions, 1-Are these untouched Mausers with matching numbers or are they just matched, but have some replacement parts. 2 - What are fair prices for both the above descriptions. Since I have VERY limited knowledge in this area any help is greatly appreciated !!!! Joe has helped me out a lot already by posting to done gun forums he belongs to,I am trying to compare notes .. lol... Thanks again in advance !!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Matched byf 44 K98   Matched byf 44 K98  

Matched byf 44 K98   Matched byf 44 K98  

Matched byf 44 K98   Matched byf 44 K98  

Matched byf 44 K98  

?

Default Re: Matched byf 44 K98

I agree with the opinions of the very smart people on Gunboards forum...
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

type-o in the post, my friend is selling both these rifles...

Newbie check the serial no. on receiver-barrel. Nos. should match up on most parts if all matching. I can tell they are late war because of cupped butt plate and stamped and welded barrel band. Check for manufacture code on receiver such as BYF, 147, 243. If either of these guns are matching bring backs they are worth plenty. Even if they are mixmatchers or Russian Captures they are worth at least $500 to $600 with good bores. Let us know more or check Gunboards Forum.

The front band looks like it has been cut and welded. I do not particularly like the finish on it either-it's very dark, like a Russian capture piece. Many of the screw heads have been worked on also, as if it has been disassembled several times. Are any of the waffen markings peened out?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Front band looks OK to me Wagriff. If truly matching even a BYF 44 which is the most common code is worth plenty. Not sure if they are R/Cs or GI bringbacks. But R/Cs are starting to bring some good money

?

The rear band is a normal late welded band,however it has a hole drilled in it for use on a very late Kriegsmodel stock,which you don`t have,so if the numbers on this band match the rifle I would say it has been restamped...JMHO....Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Matched byf 44 K98  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Thanks for all the input guys! The seller is a friend, and by no means a gun collector... he knows badges, uniforms, etc. I know he is not intentionally trying to rip me off. Numbers match from what he says and nothing is peened out..... He is out of touch with rifles and prices. Could the byf, being late war been given the kriegsmarine band because that was all they had at the moment of assembly? Or perhaps field repaired and that was all that was available? ...... Also, I am looking for a nice K98.... not a trophy queen, one I can occasionally shoot but also numbers matched.... but I don't want a Russian capture. Is everyone in agreement that the dot is the better of the two rifles? If so, what is a fair price to pay for it? Thanks in advance!

Quote by Newbie View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys! The seller is a friend, and by no means a gun collector... he knows badges, uniforms, etc. I know he is not intentionally trying to rip me off. Numbers match from what he says and nothing is peened out..... He is out of touch with rifles and prices. Could the byf, being late war been given the kriegsmarine band because that was all they had at the moment of assembly? Or perhaps field repaired and that was all that was available? ...... Also, I am looking for a nice K98.... not a trophy queen, one I can occasionally shoot but also numbers matched.... but I don't want a Russian capture. Is everyone in agreement that the dot is the better of the two rifles? If so, what is a fair price to pay for it? Thanks in advance!
    I would go with the DOT if the condition is good Newbie. As we said before BYF 44 is the most common code usually found. They were made by Mauser Oberndorf. Have you seen these guns Personally? If truly matching he maynot be too far off on price. I would offer maybe $700 for starters. If these are G.I. bringbacks naturally they are worth more than imports. Check barrel at top near front sight on underside for import mark such as CAI wihich is Century arms importers. Again see if you can haggle a bit. If this does pan out I advise looking in gun shops for trade-ins by vets or they're families. Usually cheaper than Gun Shows where they try to rip you off. Always glad to help Let us know.

?

the dot actually looks darker in finish,imo.....I know byf is the most common, dot is the third most common. Why pick the dot, just because of it being not so common? The dot is missing the cleaning rod, no sling, and looks like there may be a few small dents in the stock. Seller assures me they are vet bring backs.....I know, believe the item, but he is a friend,I trust him, but I will still look for import marks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast