Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Matched CYQ P38

Article about: Hello! So I acquired this CYQ non import marked, matching P38 the other week and took it out to the firing range earlier and put some rounds through her and she runs perfectly fine! But I ha

Default Matched CYQ P38

Hello!

So I acquired this CYQ non import marked, matching P38 the other week and took it out to the firing range earlier and put some rounds through her and she runs perfectly fine! But I have a few questions about some of the markings on this piece.

The magazine has the correct WaA for the CYQ manufacturer being "WaA88".

Now to move on to the questions:

1: I notice there is a "sunburst" with B b next to it, I was reading and saw that this was either a post war marking or a marking identifying that this particular piece was not approved and was sent back to be corrected at the assembly and then reinspected and passed, I am not sure which to believe.

2: there is a three digit number on the frame "519" it is not the same as the rest of the serial numbers and it is the only number on the P38 that does not match the other numbers which are "8296" with the letter block being "M" putting it manufactured in February of 1944.

3: what is the single number "4" on the slide mean? I noticed it there earlier, I see similar things on K98's as well.

4: bakelite grips one has the single number "3" on the bottom and the other single number "6" on the lower portion of the grips and "1w" on top and "41" on the material stamp. any idea what these mean and such? If I remember correctly the material numbers designate what they were made out of right?

I totally appreciate all the help from the past posts I have done on Warrelics, lots of great info and information I have seen and found out! wonderful community of people and I love you all!

any info would be amazing, thanks!

Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38Matched CYQ P38

Off the top of my head, I can tell you that the "asterisk" stamping meant that there was a repairable defect on that particular part at the factory. I'd have to dig out a few books and see what the story is on the other markings, but I know that the 519 on the frame, for example, has been seen on other CYQ's, as well as the "B b" stampings. Personally, I would not be worried by them.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Fine looking example! Bore looks to be in great shape. Nice to find one in such great condition.

I appreciate it!

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Fine looking example! Bore looks to be in great shape. Nice to find one in such great condition.

Here is thee target after the first magazine I put through it! First time firing a P38, so I need to adjust to the sights. but not to shabby.

Matched CYQ P38