Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Matching Nagoya type 99 rifle

Article about: Thought I would show you the new safe queen. A type99 Nagoya first series all matching rifle with near perfect bluing. Most of the screws are still staked. The down side is there was not a d

MAP
    ?

Quote by samnev View Post
    Thanks for the complement Marty. But I wish I could find a better original sling rather than the ones I have on it. I was lucky to make the decision to buy this one when no one else was collecting them. I also have a Type 2 Paratrooper in the same condition that is complete and all matching. Got it in the late 70's.
    Put me first on the list when you want to have someone else enjoy that Para.....wink wink

I've always wanted one of these to semi-complete my Japanese collection....

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The guy I bought the t99 from has a partrooper also all matching I am on the list for it. He just sold the bayonet that went with it. The bayonets are really hard to find if not inpossible.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Good luck. A rare rifle. Too bad you couldn't get the bayo as well

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Beautiful rifle, Marty!

I don't mean to give you false hope, but there are wild variations in what accessories were included with Type 99 rifles based on the arsenal that made the rifle and when the rifle was made... Your rifle may have never had a monopod or dust cover in the first place! Identifying what series your rifle is and comparing it to other known examples will let us know once and for all!

EDIT... Just went back and saw that you already identified it as a 1st Series. My mistake!

Joe, thanks for the kind words. I will...I say I will leave it as is unless the just right monopod comes along or a dust cover that just happens to have the numbers 301 on it. You never know that is where the joy of the hunt comes into play.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I agree, Marty... Keep it as is and enjoy it for what it is. Cheers!

MAP
    ?

As you know, most soldiers threw away the monopod and the dust cover so it's no big deal in my view. This is how they carried them.

M

There is lots of debate on whether or not the Japanese soldiers actually threw away unnecessary rifle parts. The thought is that they removed dust covers because they made too much noise while trying to be stealthy. With all of my Japanese rifles, the dust cover only rattles while the bolt is out of battery (aka bolt pulled all the way back). While trying to be stealthy, wouldn't the Japanese soldier want his rifle ready to fire? Once the firing begins, the rattling of a dust cover caused by the bolt being used would be a whisper compared to the sound of the rifle firing.

I personally subscribe to the notion that Japanese soldiers recognized their rifles were property of the Emperor and as such did their best to take good care of them/ keep them as issued. I think that the fact and these accessories were omitted from later production T99s and American servicemen saw the accessories as foolish and unnecessary (and maybe didn't know how to/ want to put them back on properly after stripping a rifle) perpetuated the idea that the Japanese soldiers threw the dust covers, monopods, AA sights away. Just my opinion!

Here is my matching type 99. It too has nice clear markings. One thing I am hoping to locate is a replacement spring bit for the right side of the anti-aircraft sight. It did not come with a bolt cover but appears to have the original monopod. I assume this is a series 1 issue. Don't mind the crappy repro ammo pouches - those are being replaced. NH

[ATTACH=CONFIG]Matching Nagoya type 99 rifle838187[/ATTACH]
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Matching Nagoya type 99 rifle  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast