Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

MG-42 Butt Stock ?

Article about: Totenhead, That buttstock, looks a lot better with the black paint removed, and is in very good condition. I have a couple of Yugo buttstocks on Mg42s, one I have replaced for a WW2 German b

Default MG-42 Butt Stock ?

Guys

Picked up a really nice Yugo MG-53 this week, I know it’s not the real McCoy but can’t justify spending £1400 on a 42 at the moment, so the 53 will satisfy my lust as it were for now!

To be honest was comparing it with pictures of MG-42's yesterday and I can’t hardly see a difference !!!

Anyways, we all know they come with black painted butt stocks which look crap, so I decided to start to strip the black paint off mine yesterday, it’s not finished yet , will require more work and possibly a light stain and linseed treatment, has only had a couple of coats of Nitromors on it, it suddenly dawned on me it could be a MG42 butt, what do you think ??
    As always opinons appreciated !

Default Re: MG-42 Butt Stock ?

Just realised it is a Yugo butt, got a bit carried away there, i thought with the soldered wire around the stock it may have been mg42 !

Oh well, like that old advert said years ago, " Hey Boss !! We drawn arsenal away !............Put em back ! .......

?

Martin weres the photos of this beast then??? Cheers Terry.

on mine, I have a Bundeswehr butt

Quote by Tango View Post
    Martin weres the photos of this beast then??? Cheers Terry.
    Hi Terry

I will have to do some pics next week, in lovely Barrow in Furness now all week !!

- - Updated - -

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    on mine, I have a Bundeswehr butt
    Have you got a close up picture???

?

Roger that Martin enjoy your week...hopefully it is a holiday not work?? Cheers Terry ..

Quote by Tango View Post
    Roger that Martin enjoy your week...hopefully it is a holiday not work?? Cheers Terry ..
    haha, a holiday in Barrow in Furness !! you obviously not been here !! Not a holiday mate unfortunately, working at BAE Submarines for a few months, its bloody freezing up here !!!

?

Oh I misread the location I thought Bowness-on-Windermere in the lovely Lake District lol....not much cause for Subs in there!!!...Well dont have such a good time & GET some work done lol....Cheers Terry.

Unfortunatley not Bowness on Windermere, but i did stay there last summer while i was working in Kendal for a week, Bowness on windermere is a lovely place !!! I can recommend the Royal Oak Inn, if only for a couple of nights !!

Are you going to put stain and treatment on your stock?

Mine was also a Yugo stock, that I stripped to resemble WW2 type - along with replacing certain other exterior components.

The smith that does my work is pretty well versed, an avid reenactor, I am not, I make films and read books, lol - he told me they would have originally been issued with unfinished wood stocks, and to leave mine, let oil, grease and dirt rub into it and it will start to look original. Mine is out a lot - the MG42 works more than my other WW2 movie rentals combined, lol.
    But, I do think it looks too light in color, and new looking.

I haven't researched this - does it sound kosher? When I reviewed my books, I could not find reference to wood stock finish as issued in the 1940's.

Cheers,

Pit.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast