Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MG34 query

Article about: Thanks everyone for your information, its been a lot of help. have decided against the one i posted and will keep looking for an early war one. rather pay a little more and have everything i

Default MG34 query

Hi there,

im pretty new so i hope im in the right place

im looking at a deact Mg34 going for 1375

its a 1945 DOT, most matching numbers but im a bit confused over
    one of the stampings which has a crossed swords which i havent
    seen before and what is the large numbers 6259 that seem crossed out?

i havent actually seen it yet but the seller has sent me lots of pics

ive attached some and would be grateful if someone can ID for me

any thoughts on the gun id look forward to hearing

thanks

ian
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 (2).jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	655434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005 (2).jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	655436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015 (2).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	655448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014 (2).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	655449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013 (2).jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	655460
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011 (2).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	655438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023 (2).jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	655441  

Hi the dot and date stamp look abit odd on this gun ,the 6259 has been crossed out as it was part of another MG34 and has been used as a replacement part on this gun so has the new stamp 7561 added so all parts on the MG number match ,this was most likely done when the gun was serviced and needed the replacement part because the original part was damaged ,I think the cross swords stamp is a Deact stamp but i may be wrong, If i was you i would look for a better MG34 as this one looks to be a real mismatch of parts

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum!

The crossed swords is the British deact proof house marking.

You want a gun which is all matching IF you can find one.

To me, this sounds too much.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

A sleek elegant MG IMO.

A friend of me tell it's a good one, but it was not at war.
    Do you have WaA everywhere?

It is an OK MG34, but I would personally advise to you look for an earlier dated example... as these are more desirable, but you will pay more than what this one is been offered at. The 'dot' coded ones (like the one you show here) are made in Czechoslovakia under German occupation, and as stated above this one (whilst in the right serial number range), may never have actually been used in WWII. So not as much history and value, but as I say still an OK MG.

There's currently a 1939 dated Mg 34 with trommel magazine for sale on the website of JC Militaria of Stockport. Although John Carlin has a reputation for having high prices compared to others at times, this example is on sale for 1475.
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    There's currently a 1939 dated Mg 34 with trommel magazine for sale on the website of JC Militaria of Stockport. Although John Carlin has a reputation for having high prices compared to others at times, this example is on sale for 1475.
    Price of that one is good for an early one - and as you say makes a change for JC to be selling things off at a decent price.... However the grips being aluminium are either post war or repro - then add an extra 100/150 or so for proper grips (IF you can find a pair).

With a bit of jiggery-pokery you can use the aluminium grips to make moulds and then cast your own grips in resin to more or less the correct colour, It is worth the aggro for such an early gun. I have always found the abundance of dot guns from 1943 onwards a bit worrying. Obviously the minty ones are refinished, but sometimes I just find myself wondering about them.
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Well remember that a lot of the dot ones you see here in the UK, from 1943 onwards, are in fact Portuguese contract which explains why they are often mint, and full matching numbers... that's because they have never been used in WW2 and I don't think the Portuguese even used them either. No WW2 history to these at all IMO, yet you find them at silly prices more than often.... like this one:

MG34 7.92 Machine Guns For Sale in Hampshire :: GunStar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast