Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More Things I have inherited

Article about: by sknkmn WOW now that is Nice. sknkmn ; Your type 99 has had the mum partially ground. It was a rifle brought home after the war ended and most likely from occupied japan. Bayonet is clean

?

Default Re: More Things I have inherited

Quote by sknkmn View Post
    WOW now that is Nice.
    sknkmn ; Your type 99 has had the mum partially ground. It was a rifle brought home after the war ended and most likely from occupied japan. Bayonet is clean and looks nice for a japanese poker.

No ez69's type38 arisaka has had the stock sanded and mum has been partially defaced as well. It may have some cold blue on the action as well. To a collector not so nice.

Quote by gew98 View Post
    sknkmn ; Your type 99 has had the mum partially ground. It was a rifle brought home after the war ended and most likely from occupied japan. Bayonet is clean and looks nice for a japanese poker.

No ez69's type38 arisaka has had the stock sanded and mum has been partially defaced as well. It may have some cold blue on the action as well. To a collector not so nice.
    Ive seen no partially defaced mum ever they were milled off or ground off not a couple of dimples marks they wanted it all the way gone.

?

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Ive seen no partially defaced mum ever they were milled off or ground off not a couple of dimples marks they wanted it all the way gone.
    How long have you been collecting ?. I have encountered jap rifle mums :

1) Ground off
    2) partially ground off
    3) Hit with a file
    4) Hit with a file half arsed
    5) peened with a hammer
    6) partially peened with a hammer
    7) center punched
    8) partially centerpunched
    9) Hammered reapeatedly with a sharp ( formerly ) sharp edged instrument
    10) defaced for school / training use - different artistic ways of using various number punches to include all of the above with 'training' ideograph as well stamped on receiver.
    So NO , the japs did not do it all one way or another..it was not a matter of all gone or not. Do some reading , get some books beat the bushes.....the truth is out there and not all on the dang internet !.

Your rifle's mum is either partially centerpunched to deface it or some bubba tried to drill and tap it and gave up.Either way it DID not leave japanese service like that excepting post war.

Does this make a riffle defaced if you see 95%.... Of the Mum never heard of the other partially hit with hammer ? This could be new to me good thred!! ERIC-Z

Would be be good if you can show any defaced marks for the data base...other than the norm defaced prefered the peened and center punched items of the Mum that you have...

?

I got out of japanese rifles over a decade ago. As far as defacing goes - partial to total obliteration of the 'mum' is observed to go from a couple prick punches to totally ground off - that's a known , nothing to prove there. Go to the gunboards.com japanese WW2 collector forums there and ask for such data/pics... I won't be surprised at what comes up.

?

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Does this make a riffle defaced if you see 95%.... Of the Mum never heard of the other partially hit with hammer ? This could be new to me good thred!! ERIC-Z

Yes it does make it defaced as that was the intention of the order to deface them. About 10 + years ago there was a guy in Texas advertizing to run a new made chrysanthemum die over mums that were only partially/lightly defaced. He finally caught enough grief from collectors he took his circus underground.

?

THE MISSING MUM MYSTERY

This is an old article from Doss , but it does give a better idea of what I am talking about.

Wow That is a Beautiful Type 99 Arisaka Rifle, I believe that is a Type 30 bayonet because of the curved quillion, It is in great shape considering its age, with the bayonet, and the right buyer (in todays economy) you could sell it for $200 with no problem!

?

Thanks for the help everyone. I know the gun came home with my Uncle after the war. He was in the Philippines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2