Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Article about: Awesome Joe! A beauty of a Mosin Sniper. What did you enjoy shooting more......the sniper or the new Garand? Seeing that last grouping, I would call that a successful day at the range. If yo

Default Re: Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Here are some photos that are a little better quality. Of course when I need it the most my camera decides not to work... these photos were taken using my friend's iphone.

Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper RifleMosin M91/30 PU Sniper RifleMosin M91/30 PU Sniper RifleMosin M91/30 PU Sniper RifleMosin M91/30 PU Sniper RifleMosin M91/30 PU Sniper RifleMosin M91/30 PU Sniper RifleMosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Pics are still a little blurry, but I promise to post better ones ASAP.

The number crossed out on the scope mount matches the number crossed out on the barrel shank.

The new number on the barrel shank matches the number stamped on the scope.

The numbers on the bolt handle, receiver, butt plate, and the magazine all match. The rifle appears to be all Izzy.

The barrel looks like a "sewer pipe" but I'm hoping that's because someone poured a whole vat of cosmoline down the barrel. I'm fairly confident it'll clean up just great!

Yes this ''renumbering'' is interesting on these refurbs, and because they market them different originally (between Izhevsk and Tula) they seem to have lots of permutations when they renumbered them. The scope is a progress scope, made in 1943, so it goes well with your rifle. Very nice stock on the rifle, with the half liner. and the nicely marked but. I think you got a winner. It is a bit unusual in that it has a 4 number serial. I need a couple more of these. Nice purchase. Did you get the cloth scope cover ?

?

Thumbs up Re: Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Looks very interesting!!!!!!!

Quote by meyerse View Post
    Yes this ''renumbering'' is interesting on these refurbs, and because they market them different originally (between Izhevsk and Tula) they seem to have lots of permutations when they renumbered them. The scope is a progress scope, made in 1943, so it goes well with your rifle. Very nice stock on the rifle, with the half liner. and the nicely marked but. I think you got a winner. It is a bit unusual in that it has a 4 number serial. I need a couple more of these. Nice purchase. Did you get the cloth scope cover ?
    Thanks for the information! I apologize for the photo quality.

No cloth scope cover, only the leather lens covers.

I should also mention that I did a quick field strip/ wipe down of the rifle and I discovered that the receiver tang is also marked 1943. The more time I spend with this rifle, the more I learn about it/ the more I discover on it/ the more I like it!

?

I think you definitely scored on this one. Boil some water and then CAREFULLY pour it down the barrel. Make sure you do it in a work sink or outside. That should clear a
    lot of the cosmo - them Hoppe's #9 it to death. You can also get a bore cleaner - I use a foam that works well. My bet is that it will clean up nicely.

Quote by MarkV View Post
    I think you definitely scored on this one. Boil some water and then CAREFULLY pour it down the barrel. Make sure you do it in a work sink or outside. That should clear a
    lot of the cosmo - them Hoppe's #9 it to death. You can also get a bore cleaner - I use a foam that works well. My bet is that it will clean up nicely.
    Thanks, Mark! I'm definitely happy with it so far and will be pleased as long as it shoots ok and I can get the scope zeroed relatively well. I will be able to give it a detailed clean and clear out the barrel either this evening or tomorrow. I will also FINALLY get around to taking high quality photos and will need help deciphering all the marks on the rifle.

Quote by meyerse View Post
    Did you get the cloth scope cover ?
    Does anyone know a good source for these cloth scope covers?

Also, does anyone know how I get the leather scope lens covers to fit into the hole in the scope mount? That way, I won't have to worry about losing it!

Like this:
    Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

?

Joe,

The cloth covers are hard to find - at least real ones. You can find repros on Ebay all the time. I see an occassional real one show up on Gunboards from time to time - but not very often.

The lens caps were not threaded through the mount on the real sniper rifles. In fact, your picture shows an easy way to spot a repro scope - the caps threaded through the mount hole. Think about it - would a sniper really want the lens caps flapping around in the wind while they are trying to take a shot or trying to remain concealed? WHen used, the caps were placed over the lenses and one was turned to increase tension on the leather strap that hold them together.

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Joe,

The cloth covers are hard to find - at least real ones. You can find repros on Ebay all the time. I see an occassional real one show up on Gunboards from time to time - but not very often.

The lens caps were not threaded through the mount on the real sniper rifles. In fact, your picture shows an easy way to spot a repro scope - the caps threaded through the mount hole. Think about it - would a sniper really want the lens caps flapping around in the wind while they are trying to take a shot or trying to remain concealed? WHen used, the caps were placed over the lenses and one was turned to increase tension on the leather strap that hold them together.
    Thanks for the insight Mark! Now that I think about it... the lens cap not being threaded thru the hole in the scope mount really makes sense!

I will also keep my eyes peeled for an authentic sling and scope cover for my new baby.

?

Joe,

I posted a wanted to buy notice on GB - I'm actually looking for one or 2 covers myself. If I get any offers, I'll let you know. You can have first choice if you are interested.

Mark

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast