Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Article about: Awesome Joe! A beauty of a Mosin Sniper. What did you enjoy shooting more......the sniper or the new Garand? Seeing that last grouping, I would call that a successful day at the range. If yo

Default Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Inspired by MarkV, I have purchased my own Mosin sniper rifle! I have wanted one of these for quite a while... mostly because they are badass... but also because I believe the scoped M91/30 is the most famous sniper rifle of World War II. As informed collectors of militaria, we may identify with other sniper rifle variants... perhaps a K98k, Enfield, or M1903 fitted with a sniper scope... However, I am almost willing to guarantee that if you ask the general population about snipers in WWII, they will without a doubt mention Vasily Zaitsev and the Soviet snipers... especially at Stalingrad (Believe me... my students would ALWAYS ask me about them)!

SO! I went ahead an ordered a rifle that meets this description:

These rifles all appear to be original WWII era sniper rifles that went back into the arsenals after the war and had
    varying degrees of re-arsenaling done to them to bring them back up to sniper standards. Although they are original snipers, due to the re-arsenaling, they may not fully retain all of their original issue characteristics or condition.

For example, you may find that a small part has been changed out, i.e - a Tula barrel band on a rifle that is otherwise Izhevsk rifle, etc...
    You may also find a force match on a floorplate or buttplate, or even a re-match where the designation # on the rifle has been
    re-struck to match it to the scope that it has been Re-Arsenal mated with.
    Also, Scopes will have original stamped numbers but mount plates may be electro-penciled to match the rifle that the scope is mated with.

These rifles are not cosmetically re-finished and the external condition as well as bore condition will vary from rifle to rifle.
    Generally the rifles are running at about NRA surplus very good condition and somewhere around 80% to 85 % of new.
    Very recently, I have seen Mosins that have modern reproduction mounts and scopes added to them in the range of $500-$800...

I have heard good things about the type of rifle that I just ordered and they come highly recommended. It is a real bonus these more authentic Mosin sniper rifles are available for cheaper than the repros that were until just recently the only available.

My rifle should arrive in 3-7 days and you can be sure that I will post photos and perhaps a video of me shooting as soon as it gets here!

?

Default Re: Mosin M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle

Can't wait to see your sniper, Joe!!

Thanks, Mark! I don't really like the idea of mail ordering a gun and not being able to hand pick myself... but I've heard good things... If something has your recommendation, I can rest at ease!

?

My bet is you'll be happy! They are not new by any stretch, but each of mine has been a solid shooter!!

Thanks, Mark! I briefly thought about selling my "regular" '42 Izzy to lessen the cost of my new sniper... but I just couldn't do it. I have so many WWII rifles now, but my lowly Mosin has got to be one of my favorites!

I am certain that Sniper that will soon be in my possession will be just as nice!

Once it arrives, I'm sure I'll need help deciphering the markings on it. On a side note: Do you know if it'll come with a sling?

?

Probably not. It should come with a set of lens covers, tool kit and oiling bottle - no slings, though. Don't expect the sniper to be the same quality finish as the stanard out of the crate Mosins. Thesetend to show some more wear but are still wonderful rifles. It's like the difference between Rack and Field grade M1s. Some people have received pristive rifles - most not. Mine from AIM has some dings and scratches - but it is well worth the price.

By the way, you'll soon be able to knock that top entry off your want list.

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Probably not. It should come with a set of lens covers, tool kit and oiling bottle - no slings, though. Don't expect the sniper to be the same quality finish as the stanard out of the crate Mosins. Thesetend to show some more wear but are still wonderful rifles. It's like the difference between Rack and Field grade M1s. Some people have received pristive rifles - most not. Mine from AIM has some dings and scratches - but it is well worth the price.

By the way, you'll soon be able to knock that top entry off your want list.
    Sounds good! Mosin slings seem to be a dime-a-dozen accessory anyway.

I love salty items in my collection... so I don't mind additional wear as long as the thing is solid and functions well.

I CAN'T WAIT TO KNOCK OFF THE TOP TWO ENTRIES!

I look forwards to seeing your new toy!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I think the popularity of the Mosin Nagant as a sniper rifle probably owes more to the film 'Enemy at the Gates' than anything else. Many would argue that the most famous sniping rifle is the Lee Enfield No 4T. You may get four or more Nagant sniper rifles for the price of one No 4T. I'm not knocking it though, it is indeed a nice gun.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I look forwards to seeing your new toy!
    Thanks, Ade! This and the CMP process really is a grab bag... I have no idea what I'll be getting! SO I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE BOTH RIFLES!

Cheers, Ade.
    Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I think the popularity of the Mosin Nagant as a sniper rifle probably owes more to the film 'Enemy at the Gates' than anything else. Many would argue that the most famous sniping rifle is the Lee Enfield No 4T. You may get four or more Nagant sniper rifles for the price of one No 4T. I'm not knocking it though, it is indeed a nice gun.
    Harry, I'd say you're probably right. Because of "Enemy at the Gates" "War of the Rats", and just the popularity of Stalingrad and the Russian sniper school in general, people the world over will be more familiar with the Mosin M91/30 sniper than any other WWII scoped sniper rifle. I would also argue that the youngest generation of WWII enthusiasts were introduced to the M91/30 PU through videogames... I think almost every WWII version of "Call of Duty" has at least one mission where you're a Russian sniper using a Mosin... including one mission that I remember fondly because you have to protect Pavlov's House.

Beyond that, I think people who appreciate TR militaria will lean towards the K98 sniper variant, people from the UK will appreciate the No 4T more (I must admit I know close to nothing about it), while Americans will favor the Springfield sniper variant.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast