Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mosin Nagant 1936

Article about: Hi, I found this nice mosin nagant. But i dont know the stamp on it. Can anyone help me? Used in ww2 or not? Thanks

?

Default Mosin Nagant 1936

Hi,

I found this nice mosin nagant.
    But i dont know the stamp on it.

Can anyone help me? Used in ww2 or not?

Thanks

Mosin Nagant 1936
    Mosin Nagant 1936

Default Re: Mosin Nagant 1936

A classic M91/30, made at Ishevsk in 1936. It was definitely used in WWII, although the stock is probably a post-war refurb.

?

How can I be sure if its a postwar stock? The butt plate have same nr as the rest.

Regards

A simple trick is to look at the sling holes.

Pre-war will have screws:
    Mosin Nagant 1936

war-time will use very little or no metal (shortage of raw materials):
    Mosin Nagant 1936

Late-war/ post- war will have full metal but no screws:
    Mosin Nagant 1936

?

Ok, thank you.
    I will take a good look on it.
    grts

As Mo said, you have a Mosin M1891/30 made in 1936 by the arsenal in Izhevsk, Russia.

You'll find serial numbers on the barrel shank (the photo you posted above), near the bolt handle, on the bottom of the magazine floor plate, and on the butt plate. Are all of these numbers the same? If so, great! If you have numbers that have been crossed out or scratched in (electro-penciled) that match, that's normal. Mis-matched numbers are also normal. Remember, these rifles were made to win wars, NOT look pretty.

The hammer & sickle in wreath marking is unique to the Izhevsk Arsenal.

The (n) marking is a provisional black powder proof mark...

The arrow in triangle is a post 1928 Izhevsk mark...

If you see any other markings that you're interested in, post photos. Chances are they are just quality-control proof marks and aren't very important.

As Mo said, these rifles were often sent to arsenals to be rebuilt and repaired. It's not uncommon to see these rifles with repairs to the wood:
    Mosin Nagant 1936Mosin Nagant 1936

After World War II, A LOT of these rifles were put into deep storage (soaked in rust-preventing grease) just in case World War 3 started up... You have a rather rare mark on your rifle. The 1 in a triangle ( /1\ ) mark signifies that after WWII your rifle was used by East Germany.

?

ooh, very nice to know that. I didnt know. So with other words its a nice ww2 mosin nagant, that makes me happy

Quote by Judaz View Post
    ooh, very nice to know that. I didnt know. So with other words its a nice ww2 mosin nagant, that makes me happy
    Yep. Your rifle was made before WWII and almost definitely saw military service. Based on it's date of manufacture, it could have been used in the Winter War against Finland, the undeclared Soviet-Japanese Border War (1939) and it was almost definitely used in World War II. The /1\ marking also tells us that it saw service with East Germany during the Cold War.

?

Very impressing.
    I took a photo of the sling hole

Mosin Nagant 1936

Thank you very much for the help.

Quote by Judaz View Post
    Very impressing.
    I took a photo of the sling hole

Mosin Nagant 1936

Thank you very much for the help.
    Yesir, full metal sling holes (escutcheons). That stock was made during the closing stages of World War II or soon after the end of the war. Does the wood have any repairs? Is the rifle live-fire or has it been deactivated?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast