Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Mosin Nagant Identification

Article about: Hi guys - I've been fortunate to aquire a 1942 Mosin Nagant - Armoury refurbished and all matching numbers. Given my fascination with all things military I was wondering if anyone can tell b

Default Re: Mosin Nagant Identification

Here's an M91/30 next to an M44 for the comparison in it. The carbine(M44) is offensive in both blast and recoil. You really have to want to shoot it. 5 rounds and I was done. Super great guns. Especially when the price is factored in. And ammo's cheap. Be alert to corrosive stuff and clean it with that in mind.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosin Nagant Identification   Mosin Nagant Identification  

Mosin Nagant Identification  
    Attached Images Attached Images Mosin Nagant Identification 

?

They look great together - I'm currently in negotiations to add one to my gun cabinet. Is it true that the folding bayonet was an integral part of the shooting balance on the M44? and is the reason it was 'fixed' to the fore-end as opposed to being carried separately for selected use?

Hi Chris, the bayonet was almost always carried on the rifle (M91/30) as scabbards were rarely issued. The Russian tactical doctrin was to close with the enemy and kill him at close range. The rifle was expected to be shot with the bayonet fixed in place at all times.

Both the rifle and the M44 carbine were sighted accordingly for the weight of the fixed bayonet.

Cheers, Ade.

Chris

No idea about the benefits of attached vs seperate bayos on these. An attached fixture would ensure availability when needed and was probably more relevant than balance during the design phase. But I really don't know.

Rick

?

It seems a huge leap of technology between a humble 5.62 x 54 to an SVT40 or SKS and on to a modern Kalashnikov rifle, which basicaly hasn't had a design change since 1945 when it was invented. I'd be interested to know your collective opinion, as to whether the Russians were unduly influenced in small arms design more by the Americans with their M1 Carbine and Garand or the Germans with their Gewehr 41 and MP43 ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosin Nagant Identification  
    Last edited by Chris; 05-02-2010 at 04:15 AM.

Hi Chris, the Russians were influenced mainly by the layout of the MP43/44 and perhaps the rotating bolt of the US M1. Kalashnikov simply took the best features of all designs he came across and combined them into his final design.

I think the G41 and M1 carbine actually had little influence in this case.

Cheers, Ade.

i remember taking my m44 out to shoot. i was 16 and i happened to have a few rounds. having never fired a gun in my life, i was excited to drive down to an isolated field about 20 minutes away. i loaded her up, aimed at a metal bucket about 40 yards away, and had a blast. my first shot was a hit and i remember my shoulder being sore and not being able to hear for a week : )

it was definately worth it though! great first rifle to shoot haha

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Chris, the Russians were influenced mainly by the layout of the MP43/44 and perhaps the rotating bolt of the US M1. Kalashnikov simply took the best features of all designs he came across and combined them into his final design.

I think the G41 and M1 carbine actually had little influence in this case.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade - I regularly 'slobber' over your Russian small arms collection, and hoped you'd respond to my question.

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    i remember taking my m44 out to shoot. i was 16 and i happened to have a few rounds. having never fired a gun in my life, i was excited to drive down to an isolated field about 20 minutes away. i loaded her up, aimed at a metal bucket about 40 yards away, and had a blast. my first shot was a hit and i remember my shoulder being sore and not being able to hear for a week : )

it was definately worth it though! great first rifle to shoot haha
    My first rifle was an arcade .22 in Whitley Bay's Spanish City but my first ever centre-fire was a .270 fired in New Zealand in 1992. It scared the crap out of me, (but not for long)

Reg
    ?

Hi Chris

With reference to your comments on the SKS and AK, Ild like to share a word or waning to fellow collectors about a certain aspect of these two rifles, I have a de-activated example of each and have spent some time building up accessories and nick-nacks. I was inspired to seek and add one of the small rifle cleaning kits kept in the butt of these rifles.

I purchased a couple from the states for about $3 each, they arrived soon after and in my eagerness to add them, promptly jammed them both up the respective hoops of the rifles, the problem comes with trying to extract them, now the wife doesnt approve of my hobby so any tinkering is usually done in a rush before im rumbled. Getting curious and attempting to remove the cylinder I found it rather a tricky affair, as there is a return spring deep in the butt that jettosons the cylinder out! somehow I jammed my thumb between the cylinder and trapdoor in the butt...only some rapid left handed un-screwing of the butt plate of the AK saved a lost thumb nail as it was getting painful! I know im a nugget, and that these weapons are made for untrained consctipts but just thought ild add that word to the wise. I left the one in the SKS butt and thats where it will stay!!!

I should really stick to my Mosins....far more simple!

Best wishes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast