Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mosin-Nagant M38 Carbine Identification

Article about: Hi Guys Picked this up this week for a really good price, thanks to Terry ( Tango ) who pointed me in its direction Number BN9498, all matching numbers A few marks on the stock The MM is a w

Default Mosin-Nagant M38 Carbine Identification

Hi Guys

Picked this up this week for a really good price, thanks to Terry ( Tango ) who pointed me in its direction

Number BN9498, all matching numbers

A few marks on the stock

The MM is a wreath with Hammer and Sickle inside, can anyone let me know who the maker was for this Carbine ??

I have taken a few quick pictures, in a bit of a rush today, lots to do

Question, is it worth touching up the marks on the stock, just to tidy it up or is it best to leave it as it is, these marks could be quite recent from storage ? Cheers for looking

Default Re: Mosin-Nagant M38 Carbine Identification

Hi Martin, your Carbine is made by the Izhevsk Arsenal.

The "B" and what looks to us like a back to front "N", is actually "V I".

http://mosinnagant.net/USSR/Model-1938-Carbine.asp

The shellac finish to the stock does easily scratch: it is possible to carefully get a bit of acetone and wipe it with a cotton wool bud to melt the shellac and pull it over the scratches to re-touch it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for the info Ade

Yeah i thought the N may mean something else, i am not that clued up on the Cyrillic alphabet! haha
    When you say acetone, would nail polish remover be the same thing??

I cant find any arsenal marks on the stock, only a few random letters like B and A stamped where you grip the stock at the front

It still takes me time to get my head around it too!

Yes, nail polish remover should work. As always do a small test on an inconspicuous area first.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Cheers Ade , got another 1944 dated PPsH-41 on the way, should it have when i get home next week

Just thought Ade, the poster i have the rifle with, what does it say at the top ???

?

There are no arsenal marks on the stock. The best you can find is an N in square -meaning refubed and put into long storage. The arsenal marking itself is the triangle with arrow inside. Izhevsk markings after 1928 (if I'm not mistaken). Nail polish should do the job, you will need couple of bottles 200ml. And it wouldn't hart to feed the wood with some linseed oil afterwards.

Here is very nice howto video, make sure you watch all the parts

Hi Martin,

Nice rifle! Deactivated, I'm assuming?

The stock of your rifle is actually from an M44 carbine w/ swing out bayonet. You can see the notch on the right side of the stock where the bayonet would rest while not extended.

See my M44:
    Mosin-Nagant M38 Carbine Identification

When M38 carbines were refurbished, they were often refitted with M44 stocks... so this is common.

Thanks for the info ph3s, will take a look after dinner later

Yes Joe it’s a deac unfortunately, without a Fire Arms licence that’s all we are allowed over here, would love to fire one of these properly, may start investigating getting a licence, but would need to join a club first; I do have government security clearance so maybe I could look into it

Yeah mate I realised it had an M44 stock after I bought it but it didn’t cost much so I am happy, will probably pick up an M44 in the future to add the collection

Yours look sweet by the way, what are they like to fire, I have read they are not that accurate !! ???

Roughly says "People cherish peace", then of course reference to the 20,000000 killed (actually now estimated at 27 million) and then the dates of the Great Patriotic War.

Cheers,
    Ade

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast