Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mosin Nagant Question

Article about: I noticed that all of the Mosin Nagant's that I've bought have a shiny coating over the wood stock. Were they like that during the war or is that only a post war thing? The reason I ask is b

Default Mosin Nagant Question

I noticed that all of the Mosin Nagant's that I've bought have a shiny coating over the wood stock. Were they like that during the war or is that only a post war thing? The reason I ask is because I want to remove the shiny coating, but not if it's original (wartime) to the rifle.

Default Re: Mosin Nagant Question

If we are talking about the same thing it's from storage (cosmoline grease) that has soaked in to the wood.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

No I'm not talking about the cosmoline grease, I'm talking about the shiny varnish on the wood.

?

Varmish on the wood during rebuild. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

I agree during referb.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

This is a question I have wondered about as well. I have one nice 1931 M-N which has a post war refurb stock. I bought an early prewar stock to put on the rifle for display, that way I have a "real" issue rifle as refurb if I ever want to sell it, and a "real war time stick for display. But I have never yet taken off the varnish/shellack. When or if I do, what were to stocks finished in- Linseed and turpintine? Lindseed?
    Jagdhorn

There are a number of posts and videos for re-furbishing the M/N stocks. I am just starting the process on mine, using de-natured alcohol to remove the shellac from the stock. This will not soak into the laminated stock on my particular rifle. Then it's multiple layers of sanding, etc. before I use some type of urathane coating. Or I my use make it an "oil finsh" which would be closer to the original WWII style.

I didn't sand or anything, just took the post war shellac off...

Mosin Nagant Question

?

My Mosin is a Finnish civil guard model and I dont know if the stock is original factory but it has no shellac or varnish on it. I hope this gives you a little help.
    ~Dean
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosin Nagant Question   Mosin Nagant Question  

Mosin Nagant Question   Mosin Nagant Question  

Mosin Nagant Question  

I seen an original Mosin PU Sniper Rifle in a Moscow museum WITHOUT shellac, that's when I made up my mind to remove it =))

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast