Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mosin Nagant Sniper.

Article about: Nice rifle MarkV.....I have a few more pictures of mine, the left side of the receiver and of the rear of the scope mount (meyerse) I have also noticed that the mount has a small stamping in

Default Mosin Nagant Sniper.

Hi all.....I love Mossies......I now own three.....two M44 Carbines and a 1942 PU Sniper.......these guns are great fun to shoot and are still very affordable, each one tells a story via its very numerous markings, stamps, and scars..........I would like to get your opinions on my 1942 Izhevsk sniper, it has lots of marks in common with every other Nagant .........I bought this one about four months ago and have shot it many times since with very satisfactory results using both factory and hand loads, the trigger pull is around four and a half pounds which compares with around seven pounds for my two M44's which confirms that the trigger has been 'worked' consistant with accurising of a contemporary 91/30 for selection as a sniper rifle, it is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot....I have been able to decipher most of the markings but I would appreciate your input as always....................the PU scope shows a rebuild mark from 1953 so its unlikely to be the original to the rifle, but thats what I love about these things...............who knows what went on...................................Discuss........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosin Nagant Sniper.   Mosin Nagant Sniper.  

Mosin Nagant Sniper.   Mosin Nagant Sniper.  

Mosin Nagant Sniper.   Mosin Nagant Sniper.  

Default Re: Mosin Nagant Sniper.

Interesting the rifle is a 4 digit number.....can you show the maker mark of the scope not just the refurb mark (which is also a bit odd, with its own numbering) can you show up close pictures of the mount front and back? can you show the sides of the receiver along the wood line (left and right of where you show the rifle serial number)?

Hi Meyerse..........the seriel is CE6081.................thats five digits, do the letters not have any significance ?......anyway..............thanks for your interest......there is no manufacturers mark that I can make out on the scope...however...the last two digits (see new pic) appear to be 87____I think that it is possible that in the Cyrillic alphabet or numbering system and given the vagaries of the war time stampings the stamping that appears to be a figure '7' could be a number '1'................perhaps similar to the continental '1' expresed with the elongated and downward slashed top bar, this would tie in with the serial number of the rifle (CE6081)............. I understand that it was common practice for Soviet armourers at the time to use only the last two digits of a serial number to identify and match components................I think they may have been under a bit of pressure around then........................................Phil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosin Nagant Sniper.   Mosin Nagant Sniper.  

Mosin Nagant Sniper.  

Just some observations......
    It is four digits (four numbers) Most BUT NOT ALL original snipers have three digit numbers (this is not any give away).
    The stamped number on the mount is likely a recent addition (some were stamped this way but I don't think this maker).
    Does the scope not have a maker mark? It may have been scrubbed during refurb. but that is unusual (other aspects of the scope look good!, just curious about the maker/symbol printed on the scope).
    I don't see any scope/mount numbers on the receiver........(again, not definitive if it was returned to a sniper).
    The receiver is very rough milled.

Was the rifle was originally a sniper ? (I'm not passing judgement, I'm looking to get a more experienced collector in to discuss), can I ask where you got it?

Nice rifle, should be fun!

?

To my knowledge, most Tula snipers are 3 digit serial numbered - Izhevsks have been seen with both 3 and 4 digit (minus prefix) numbers with most being in the 4 digit ranges.

Your scope is an original - numerous heavily scrubbed examples exist where the manufacturer's marks and the old serial number were removed during refurb. Only the year and a new serial number were applied to them, like yours.

It almost appears that there are remnants of an older serial number on the left of the receiver - are there?

Thanks guys.............meyerse I bought the gun from a local firearms dealer whom I know, I have looked very carefully over the scope using a magnifier and I cant find any maker mark but as MarkV has observed there are remains of perhaps an older serial number near the elevation adjustment turret....its a bit hard to distinguish exactly what the symbols are though, Im reluctant to remove the scope at this stage to examine further in case it affects the zero but may do at some time in the future when I'm more familiar with the re-zeroing procedure..............Is it an original sniper?...the eternal question.......the gun shoots very well and acurately, trigger pull is very smooth and predictable, the scope has performed well in various weathers with no fogging or misting (some repro PU scopes I've seen suffer badly from this) I beleive the Izhevsk sniper rifles were not specifically stamped as such unlike the Tula ones but mine doe's have what I think are accurising inspection marks on the receiver, the receiver is rough but the rifle is dated 1942 so thats not unusuall...............numbers match on all the major components including the bayonet.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Phil

?

Mr Lout I don't know much about this rifle I have 2 deacts myself. The carbine & rifle..But I do like the look of yours,thanks for posting the pictures. Cheers Terry..

Quote by Lugerlout View Post
    Thanks guys.............meyerse I bought the gun from a local firearms dealer whom I know, I have looked very carefully over the scope using a magnifier and I cant find any maker mark but as MarkV has observed there are remains of perhaps an older serial number near the elevation adjustment turret....its a bit hard to distinguish exactly what the symbols are though, Im reluctant to remove the scope at this stage to examine further in case it affects the zero but may do at some time in the future when I'm more familiar with the re-zeroing procedure..............Is it an original sniper?...the eternal question.......the gun shoots very well and acurately, trigger pull is very smooth and predictable, the scope has performed well in various weathers with no fogging or misting (some repro PU scopes I've seen suffer badly from this) I beleive the Izhevsk sniper rifles were not specifically stamped as such unlike the Tula ones but mine doe's have what I think are accurising inspection marks on the receiver, the receiver is rough but the rifle is dated 1942 so thats not unusuall...............numbers match on all the major components including the bayonet.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Phil
    Near the turrets is not an old serial number. it would have had a standard maker mark on the main body of the scope which has been removed it seems and a new serial added.
    What we are wondering is about the scope serial number that would have been along the woodline of the receiver.....It doesn't look like it had one....so may not have origianlly been a sniper.....but more details would of course be need. Can you provide a clearer shot of the BACK of the scope mount?

?

I have asked a few people who are much more experienced with these than me to look at the pictures. While we can all certainly be wrong, the thought is that your rifle is not an original sniper. The reasons include: the lack of an original scope number on the left side of the barrel just forward of the receiver (Perhpas it is there an I just can see it in the picture) - even if it were scrubbed, the smoothing of the barrel surface would be evident; the roughness of the receiver and barrel. Even in '42, the snipers were generally given special attention. I have a "42 Izhevsk and the receiver and barrel have been smoothed; the serial number is not within any known range of '42 PU snipers - to be fully open here, there is less data on the '42s than any other year so perhaps this number/prefix have just not yet been found; based on the pictures, the rail appears to be a reproduction; the mount holes in the receiver appear to be fairly recent and show no wear.

The scope and mount are genuine production components.

Is it possible that I (we) are wrong? You bet. We're just basing our thoughts on your pictures, not an up close inspection.

No matter what, you have a beautiful rifle. One of my 4 PU snipers is a Ukraine repro and it is a beautiful shooter. Enjoy it and shoot it!!

?

I grabbed a few pictures of my '42 Izhevsk. This was an ex-sniper that I restored.

Mosin Nagant Sniper. Mosin Nagant Sniper.

Mosin Nagant Sniper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast