Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My 1903 Springfield

Article about: This is actually a parts gun. I selected it out of a barrel full of them in a gunshop in California. It came in a ratty pistol grip stock. The stock on it now I picked up at Rock Island Arse

Johnnie
    ?

Default My 1903 Springfield

This is actually a parts gun. I selected it out of a barrel full of them in a gunshop in California. It came in a ratty pistol grip stock. The stock on it now I picked up at Rock Island Arsenal when I was attending the National Match Weapons Maintenance Course. It has a slightly counterbored barrel. I understand that in the 50s Army Ordnance had a rebuild program for the Nationalist Chinese on Taiwan. They found that many of the Springfield barrels were actually in good shape except for the muzzel crown where overenthusiastic Chinese soldires had damaged them with improper cleaning. The sollution was to simply couterbore the barrel slightly instead of rebarreling. This one is a great shooter.
    The barrel is marked SA 11-26.

Johnnie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1903 Springfield   My 1903 Springfield  

My 1903 Springfield   My 1903 Springfield  

My 1903 Springfield   My 1903 Springfield  

My 1903 Springfield  

Reg
    ?

Default Re: My 1903 Springfield

Nice rifle thanks Johnie, the cord pull-thrus damaged the muzzle of the enfields, I always wondered what the alumunium chain versions did to K98s

Reg

dvl
    ?

A handsome rifle. I wish mine had a stock as nice as that! It is currently my favorite shooter.

a friend of mine is looking to buy one of these how much would you say is a good deal

Johnnie
    ?

I'm not up on current prices. Perhaps Gary or Bill might have up to date info. As pretty as mine is, it is still a parts gun somewhat. Original (arsenal) Springfields in good condition are getting expensive.

Johnnie

Johnnie
    ?

A bit of update on Springfield prices. Although busy as a one armed paperhanger setting up my business activites here stateside, I squeezed Saturday morning in for a gun show here in Phoenix.
    Total Shock! Evidently, the last six years I have been overseas, my modest military collection has quaddruppled in value! Unreal prices (to my mind anyway)
    Fairly decent 1903 and 03A3's were piced in the $650-700 dollar range. One gent had a 03a3 that looked like Godzilla had been using it for a baseball bat, that was priced $800.00. Unreal. When I started laughing to myself, he gave me a dirty look and I said "Don't ask" and walked away.
    I saw run of the mill 1917 Enfields at $700.00 up. I won't even mention Russsian rework 98K's.
    I understand that these type of arms are indeed collectible, but I see that this hobby (collecting military weapons) has gone the way much of TR collecting has gone: Over inflated DEALER prices.
    OK, off the soapbox.

Cheers,

Johnnie

ya i acctually got kina lucky on 2 of my rifles i baught my Gew98 (transissional) for $400 from a guys personal colection at a show and my other one a sweedish m96 for $210 the same way at a both where a guy was selling his personal colection so the prices were alot lower than the other ones. i baught my bayonet from a man that was just walking a round and had some he didnt know much about them tho because he sould me a 1939 W.C.K. Kar98 bayonet for 75 dollars with a scaberd aand from (all mix mached tho) the scaberd was a 44 Eichorn, but the mosins dont seem to be geting any higher