Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

My 1917 S&W

Article about: This is one of the Brazilian Navy contract models. For professional work I have always used automatics. Mostly 1911s and recently Glocks, but I have always had a feeling for quality revolver

Johnnie
    ?

Default My 1917 S&W

This is one of the Brazilian Navy contract models. For professional work I have always used automatics. Mostly 1911s and recently Glocks, but I have always had a feeling for quality revolvers. When I got this one, they were still pretty common, so I decided it would make a good combat revolver. Dumbassed me takes it to an equally dumbdassed "gunsmith" for refinishing and he ground half the Brazilian markings off. Sometimes life's best lessons are the hardest learned.
    Designed for .45 Auto Rim (a rimmed version of the .45ACP) it and it's Colt counterpart were substitute standard for the U.S. military in WW1 and many saw service in WW2. Smith marketed it to a number of third world countries, hence the Brazilian Navy contract. This one is dated 1937.
    It will shoot .45 ACP when used with half or full moon clips( I couldn't find them in the Ohio container so now need to order more)
    Even with the thin sights, this puppy is a tack driver with 230gr .45 ACP ball, but it doesn't shoot cast lead bullets well due to the shallow rifling. I'm still considering a full combat revolver upgrade since I ruined it's collector value.
    The walnut grips are original. It's an example of the gunmaker's art, reflecting quality manufacture, and hand fitting. Back when the world had time for such "foolishness"

Johnnie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1917 S&W   My 1917 S&W  

My 1917 S&W   My 1917 S&W  

Default Re: My 1917 S&W

Hi Johnnie,

Whilst elk hunting around Cooke City Montana a few years ago, i was loaned a pistol that appears identical to yours but was .38 calibre. The weapon was stamped with the same Brazilian navy markings as yours and,i'm pretty certain, dated 1937 also. It was fitted with a half moon clip so as to fire 9mmACP.

I was a little concerned as to the pistols stopping power(there was a lot of bear activity at the time) and when i expressed this to the outfitter, after laughing at a greenhorn limey, he presented me with a .44 redhawk. I felt a lot safer then.....

Anyway, what could it have been, it looked nigh identical and the markings appear the same? Looking forward to your reply.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Johnnie
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Johnnie,

Whilst elk hunting around Cooke City Montana a few years ago, i was loaned a pistol that appears identical to yours but was .38 calibre. The weapon was stamped with the same Brazilian navy markings as yours and,i'm pretty certain, dated 1937 also. It was fitted with a half moon clip so as to fire 9mmACP.

I was a little concerned as to the pistols stopping power(there was a lot of bear activity at the time) and when i expressed this to the outfitter, after laughing at a greenhorn limey, he presented me with a .44 redhawk. I felt a lot safer then.....

Anyway, what could it have been, it looked nigh identical and the markings appear the same? Looking forward to your reply.

Regards, Ned.
    Hi Ned,

I honestly don't know. I havn't done a lot of research on Smith revolvers. Perhaps Bill has moe info. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Johnnie

No problem Johnnie, been thinking hard about it and i'm thinking they might of said it was a police pistol.Whatever,... I distinctly remember the Brazilian star motif and the fella telling me it was made for / passed on to the Brazilian market, and they were scarce.

Thanks anyway for the prompt reply,

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.