Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

My 1940 243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98K

Article about: Thought I would share my 98k bringback with all the milsurp fans. Father brought this one back while serving overseas in France in 44-45. The rifle was found in a building along with a stash

Default My 1940 243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98K

Thought I would share my 98k bringback with all the milsurp fans. Father brought this one back while serving overseas in France in 44-45. The rifle was found in a building along with a stash of other small arms in a town the Germans retreated from. Father said a soldiers investigated the towns buildings and found a building being used to store weapons. Great heirloom plus it is all matching with the sling. Just sat in a attic or bedroom closet till I got my hands on it. Couple dents in the wood but the bluing is in very good condition overall. Thought everyone would enjoy seeing it.
    My 1940   243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98KMy 1940   243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98KMy 1940   243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98KMy 1940   243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98KMy 1940   243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98KMy 1940   243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98KMy 1940   243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98KMy 1940   243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98KMy 1940   243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98KMy 1940   243 Code Mauser Borsigwalde Kar 98K

Thanks for showing it. Your cannot beat family items.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

You"re welcome Ade. Very happy to have it.

Was dying to see this! Thanks for sharing!! Amazing that you know the history!

MAP
    ?

Excellent. Wish I was lucky enough to have a story like this.

Question: did your Dad have capture / bring back papers? If not, was it a duffle cut rifle?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Excellent. Wish I was lucky enough to have a story like this.

Question: did your Dad have capture / bring back papers? If not, was it a duffle cut rifle?
    Thanks for your interest MAP. I did not think to ask about capture papers way back when I first got my hands on it back around 1970. When my father passed went through what small items I could find but no capture papers were found. Folks were not savers of anything. Rifle just leaned against the closet wall for years. Funny I can recall sneaking a peak at it when folks weren't looking. Would have tanned my hide back in late 50s or early 60s for even goin near a gun. LOL. Just wish it could talk and tell us what it saw and did prior to being stashed in that building. Again thanks to all for the interest.

MAP
    ?

Thanks. The reason for asking was that (or so I have been told) many soldiers who brought back K98's and didn't get permission (papers) put them in their duffel bags. But the K98 didn't fit, so they dismantled the rifle. Even then, the stock was too long, so they cut the stock right under the top barrel band. Thus the term "duffel cut". I have a K98 that has this. When I got it home I discovered this. Had my friend who is quite skilled at this sort of thing put a dowel in to stop it from rattling.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

This is a real beauty, and the stock is untouched. Congrats!

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks. The reason for asking was that (or so I have been told) many soldiers who brought back K98's and didn't get permission (papers) put them in their duffel bags. But the K98 didn't fit, so they dismantled the rifle. Even then, the stock was too long, so they cut the stock right under the top barrel band. Thus the term "duffel cut". I have a K98 that has this. When I got it home I discovered this. Had my friend who is quite skilled at this sort of thing put a dowel in to stop it from rattling.

Michael
    Does not appear to have been cut from what I can see Mike. Everything seems tight and as it should be. Yep a great treasure to have I just wish he could have snagged a couple Lugers if there were any to be had. Can't believe the price for unmolested samples today.