Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My Arisaka T99 Rifle

Article about: My cleaning job did the trick and now my rifle is chambering snapcaps without a problem. I'll bring the rifle to my gunsmith tomorrow and he can tell me if 1. the ammo is to blame, 2. if the

Default Re: My Arisaka T99 Rifle

I'm pretty sure it is a series 21(character is a little hard to see) and it is a Kokura Arsenal rifle. Very nice rifle!

Quote by Wolfe1165 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is a series 21(character is a little hard to see) and it is a Kokura Arsenal rifle. Very nice rifle!
    Thank you very much. The series mark isn't the most crisp example, but I think you're right. Any idea on the year it was made?

It would definitely be an earlier war rifle. Here is a great list that another member posted a while back: Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II . This would confirm it as a series 21 since 29's were for the type 38 and 40's were from the Jinsen arsenal.

Quote by Wolfe1165 View Post
    It would definitely be an earlier war rifle. Here is a great list that another member posted a while back: Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II . This would confirm it as a series 21 since 29's were for the type 38 and 40's were from the Jinsen arsenal.
    Thanks for your time, Wolfe. That's the website I attempted to use, but yeah... the series marking wasn't crisp enough on my rifle to say for sure.

I'm very excited! I just learned that a major gun parts company is located less than a half an hour away from my home. I'll be able to bring my Arisaka to their parts counter and get all the replacement parts I need in one shot!

Rifle should arrive on Friday!

It arrived today! Overall I'm extremely pleased with it. The metal is nice and clean and looks to be all in good shape. As I suspected, I need to pick up a cleaning rod, the wings to the anti-aircraft sight, and the mono pod. I'm not sure if the color of the stock is correct or not...

My Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 RifleMy Arisaka T99 Rifle

No comments? I don't think my new rifle is that bad!

SO... I brought my Arisaka out to shoot for the first time and I had some major problems. I'm hoping the ammo is at fault...

Considering how expensive ammo is for these rifles, I decided to only run about 5 or 10rnds thru as a test.

I load the first round. Pull the trigger and hear the firing pin hit. There is a split second delay, and then the round fires. I was scared... but thought: "ok, bad ammo... let me try again."

I load the second round. Pull the trigger and hear the firing pin hit. No BANG. I hold the rifle down-range and wait... and wait... and wait... I finally decide to extract the round. As I pull the bolt back, a bunch of loose, unfired powder spills out of the cartridge. I was SHOCKED! . I take out the second round. I open the floor plate and take out the other three rounds. I remove the bolt and peer down the barrel (from the back of the rifle, I'm not THAT stupid)... no day light. The bullet was stuck in the barrel... but not far, just in the throat. I use a cleaning rod to tap out the bullet.

I try a third time, but now my rifle won't let me chamber a round. The bolt handle wont turn down... if I try without a round, the bolt will turn down just fine.

I'm hoping it was a problem with the ammo and it fouled up the chamber. I sincerely hope that my new Arisaka rifle isn't ruined!

It sounds like you simply have a dirty chamber ( where the brass goes in at the rear of your barrel ) Get a chamber brush and clean it well. This should work fine. Also the wood looks like it was refinished. All of mine are a lot darker. You may also want to take this to a gunsmith after you clean it and see if it has been modified for a differnt caliber. ie. 30-06, Many vets did this so they could use them as hunting rifles. Still a nice rifle. Burt

Hi Burt,

I cleaned it quickly but had to leave afterwards for Valentines Day wkend with my girlfriend. I am hoping the ammo I used was at fault... Its called Kinetics Research... I think... Never heard of it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast