Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My beautiful piece of junk!

Article about: Picked up a last ditch type 99 Arisaka rifle at the gun show this weekend. Terrible rifle for combat. No metal buttplate, terrible welds, fixed sights, a stock built from 2 pieces... I love

Default My beautiful piece of junk!

Picked up a last ditch type 99 Arisaka rifle at the gun show this weekend. Terrible rifle for combat. No metal buttplate, terrible welds, fixed sights, a stock built from 2 pieces... I love it!! This rifle has character and tells a story. Had to share this beautiful piece of $&#t with you guys. Also bought some reich dishes I will be posting later this week..

My beautiful piece of junk!My beautiful piece of junk!My beautiful piece of junk!My beautiful piece of junk!My beautiful piece of junk!My beautiful piece of junk!My beautiful piece of junk!My beautiful piece of junk!

MAP
    ?

Nice one! I have a similar late war rifle. Years ago you couldn't give these away, now I've seen these really go up in value.

There was a measured decline in build quality and implementation of short cuts over the war years with only the very last version being considered "Last Ditch". Buts it's been a while since I've research so not completely sure which ones fit in that category. Similar to the bayonets and Katana's.

Also if I remember correctly, even early Japanese rifles were built with a two piece stock.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hey MAP, thanks for that. I can't remember seeing arisaka's with the 2 pieces before but now I will be looking at more examples. As for last ditch status, I can't imagine them being built worse than this..ugh. The only thing truly clean is the rifle bore. I guess as long as the bullet came out straight that was all that mattered. The question I have is were these used in last battles such as Okinawa or manufactured for the defense of Japan itself? Or both?

?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    Hey MAP, thanks for that. I can't remember seeing arisaka's with the 2 pieces before but now I will be looking at more examples. As for last ditch status, I can't imagine them being built worse than this..ugh. The only thing truly clean is the rifle bore. I guess as long as the bullet came out straight that was all that mattered. The question I have is were these used in last battles such as Okinawa or manufactured for the defense of Japan itself? Or both?
    And your rifle still has its Imperial mum which would indicate that it was a battlefield pickup.
    Very Nice.

Haven't seen one in quite a while. Used to be cheap back in the 70s as my friend bought a Type 99 for $25. Norma made 7.7 ammo which we bought to try it. Never forget that roar as we were used to just shootin our rimfires back then.

I don't see a reason upon inspection that it wouldn't be safe to fire. Solid bolt, receiver, and bore.. Just ugly and cheaply made.

MAP
    ?

I'm out of town but can double check my non last ditch rifles for the two piece stocks when I return in a few days. Like I said, it's been awhile so I'm a bit rusty and don't have my reference materials. Sure others will be around before then with the answer.

The term "Last Ditch" is often used too broadly by the collector community (myself being guilty of this). My point was that build and finish quality deteriorated over time as raw materials got scarcer and scarcer, only the ones produced at the very end are true "Last Ditch" (yours appears to be in this category but as said, I'm rusty). This is what I have been taught but as always, I willing to be corrected

Either way, you have a winner!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes please do that if and when you get a chance. I've been working 12 hour days lately and haven't had time to do my normal research either. I agree with the last ditch term as well...many tiers of "last ditch" on many things.

Pretty much all ariskas have two piece stocks. My type 38 does along with my 1940-41 type 99 and my 1942 type 99. Something about the Japanese wood blanks were not big enough. The splice actually makes it stronger. They seem to separate over time.

MAP
    ?

Yes. Danny is correct. I was a bit rusty so a little hesitant to initially say explicitly without access to my resources and my own collection. My Type 38, 99, 44 and Last Ditch all have two piece stocks. Do a quick google search an you will see.

Btw...here is a site I use for Arisaka rifles and bayonets. Just text and drawings but easy to read and understand.

Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II

I just pulled mine out. Exactly like yours, full Mum and all. Mine appears to be duffle cut. Is yours?

Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast