Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Bren MKI

Article about: Hi One of my wishes was to have a Bren and found one to put in my British Airborne Jeep project Need restoration work and new charging handle. Here are some photographs and all comments are

Default My Bren MKI

Hi
    One of my wishes was to have a Bren and found one to put in my British Airborne Jeep project
    Need restoration work and new charging handle.
    Here are some photographs and all comments are welcome!

Regards

Luis
    Last edited by m606paz; 09-29-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Hi Luis, It looks like it was a US parts kit prior to rewelding, is it now a semi conversion or rebuilt back to select fire? It looks like its not the charging handle (AKA cocking handle) that you need but more the carry handle. Plenty of original handles around and shouldn't cost a fortune either. Of course you may find it easier to have a amateur wood turner make one out of walnut, I hear it can be difficult to import things into Argentina.

Hi Bobby
    Thanks for your reply
    This is totally deactivated.
    I read Ian Skennerton book and say this cocking handle is correct for MK1 receiver...
    I have a doubt, is the origin of the butt, since very few Bren with this model installed.Post War Change?
    I buy a new old stock Carryng Handle now in E buy.

Hi again Luis, The cocking handle is completely correct for a Mk1, nothing wrong with that one. The butt is a Mk2 which has probably been fitted in late WW2, after WW2 it would more than likely have been replaced with a Mk3 or 4 butt as the Mk2 gun ceased normal production in 1945.

Thanks for your comments Bobby

Butt detail

Slide Group

Markings

?

I don't think that is the correct bipod for a Mk I Bren.

The Bipod folding mechanism is the same as MK1 without extendible legs..
    Why and when this change?

The bipod you have is known as the Bipod MkIII made by Inglis of Canada. It was made as a simplification of the Bipod MkI for the Inglis Bren MkII. The British Daimler MkII was fitted with the Bipod MkII which had independently folding feet and big pads with spikes. The Australian company of Lithgow made a MkIII local pattern which used the same idea as Inglis but they fitted the feet from the British Daimler Bipod MkII, I guess as the Aussies preferred to have a spiked foot for their jungle warfare.

Thank you for your coment Bobby!
    I like all the pieces that have my Bren, even of different manufacturers and do not correspond to the time of manufacture. Each piece has a story!
    Now I want search a correct sling and make a repro transit chest with all accesories!