Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My first mauser K98k!!!!

Article about: Just bought this today for 200\\$ its made in 1940 also, under the 7.62 mark there is a number:243 and under the rear sight it says S/42G, and next to the mod 98 area theres a ss mark, dont kn

Default My first mauser K98k!!!!

Just bought this today for 200$ its made in 1940 also, under the 7.62 mark there is a number:243 and under the rear sight it says S/42G, and next to the mod 98 area theres a ss mark, dont know if that waffen ss or something let me know what you think. note: it came with a modern hunting stock for any one who is wondering
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first mauser K98k!!!!   My first mauser K98k!!!!  

Last edited by theotherhomer; 03-26-2010 at 01:22 AM.

Default Re: My first mauser K98k!!!!

Nice rifle. Be careful as the "243" might actually be the caliber of the rifle. The 243 is a pretty common caliber and it's not unheard of for the Mauser to go through a caliber change. The 98 mauser is probably the best bolt action rifle ever made. The 03 springfield is basically a copy of the 98 mauser. Hope you enjoy your new rifle.

Thanks Mike, To be honest I have no clue what caliber this rifle is. I know the Isrealis got a buttload of these after the war and rachamberd them for 7.62 and the place I bought this from had it listed as a 308. Gonna see if me and my dad can take it so a gunsmith soon :P, George

Hi George, as always it is the best advice to take it to a qualified Gunsmith if you have any doubts about a firearm.

I think that the chances are it will be 7.62mm and the "243" will be the makers code number, which is for Mauser produced rifles in 1940 at their Borgiswald plant. But safety first!

Cheers, Ade.

I believe Ade is correct, Flags went up for me when I saw the "243" which is a pretty popular caliber, you just never know. Plus 98 Mausers are some of the most customized, modified rifles around. it's always better to be safe.

Mike

When my dad has a day off were gonna take it a gunsmith just to be safe, we had to do this my turk mauser a month a go to get the headspace checked. Also do you guys know what S/42G means? Thanks
    Last edited by theotherhomer; 03-27-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Hi George, it is a Mauser makers code.

Re read my initial post as I have made an edit re 243.

Can you show a decent close up of the SS mark please?

Cheers, Ade.

I'll have to try to use my phone camera for it just give me a few mins to deselect hundreds of pictures

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi George, it is a Mauser makers code.

Re read my initial post as I have made an edit re 243.

Can you show a decent close up of the SS mark please?

Cheers, Ade.

Here ya go Ade, I tried my best for this one. the second s hasn't been stamped all the way also
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first mauser K98k!!!!  

Plus, is it me, or does it seem like this one has been sporterized , as they put it, The stock does not look original, the barrel seems longer, and different.

Still a very nice rifle though.

Brian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast