Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

my M1

Article about: this is my Winchester M1. it is worn out but still fun to shoot. can any one tell me why the receiver is two colors. have seen references to bi-color receivers but haven't found out why.

?

Default my M1

this is my Winchester M1. it is worn out but still fun to shoot.
    can any one tell me why the receiver is two colors. have seen references to bi-color
    receivers but haven't found out why.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture my M1   my M1  

my M1   my M1  

my M1   my M1  

my M1   my M1  

my M1  

Default Re: my M1

That is a very nice M1 Garand! Thanks for showing.

Regards

?

Thank you. My next one will be an m1 carbine.

parts of rifles are commonly replaced in service so your garand probably served in ww2 korea and maybe veitnam so woodwork had to be replaced when damaged it doesn't make the rifle bad and i love yours (it may be possible to find where it served possibly)

tom

?

yes it has an Ogden Utah rebuild cartouche. all the parts are from different makers. also an alexandria Va import mark so it could have
    been any where. It functions flawlessly but the first 2 inches of the barrel has no rifling.shoots a 6 inch group at 100 yds. some day ill get a better one but i love shooting this one to honor all
    who carried one

Quote by talltom View Post
    parts of rifles are commonly replaced in service so your garand probably served in ww2 korea and maybe veitnam so woodwork had to be replaced when damaged it doesn't make the rifle bad and i love yours (it may be possible to find where it served possibly)

tom
    This is exactly what I was going to say!

A lot of people get their feathers ruffled when rifles have mismatched parts or off color pieces. They fail to realize that these things were tools of war. When they broke down, the priority was to get them back into the fight, NOT to make sure they looked good/ had matching parts.

I'm assuming the darker foregrip is made from walnut, while the rest of the stock is made of birch.

With that being said, your Garand is BEAUTIFUL! I'd love to have one like it! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you?

Here is a pic of my IBM M1 Carbine (like your Garand, my carbine is WELL used and has definitely seen combat action in WW2, Korea, maybe Vietnam and then it was used by Israel. The parts are mismatched and the wood is dinged and scratched up, but it shoots great!) The "Garand" in my picture is a movie prop from The Pacific. I hope to replace it with the real deal soon...

?

Nice looking Garand!

I think madpsu is refering to the 2 colours on the reciever being of diffrent tones to the one piece. I have seen this on a number of guns, Brens and Lee Enfields FTRd at Lithgow in paticular but also some Thompson SMGs. I can only think this is down to Metal preperation, heat treatments/case hardening or perhaps part of a component being suspended in soloution prior to full submersion. I suspect its one of the latter 2 as there always seams to be a straight edge between the 2 colours.

?

Nice rifle. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Thanks for the info. I am also on the hunt for a proper bayonet to match.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast