Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My M1 Garand Rifle

Article about: For those who may not know, the weight is around 10 or 12 pounds. Can you imagine carrying one of these around with you, day after day, for a year or more ? ! ? !

?

Default My M1 Garand Rifle

Here is my Korean Era M1 H&R Armory Garand . I think it is the best Semi-auto rifle of the 20 century
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M1 Garand Rifle   My M1 Garand Rifle  

?

Default Re: My M1 Garand Rifle

Nice Garand you got there.
    I have shot the Garand several times and it certainly is accurate and reliable, but if it is the best, I don't know...
    When I was in basic training in RDAF from 1994-95 this was the primary weapon (oh, and our MG was the post war version of the MG 42 )

Hi,
    very nice rifle I would love to have one in my collection, but it would have to be a deac here in the U.k,. And having said that it would not have many moving parts, so im not sure on spending so much money on one as they are very expensive.
    Dave.

I used to own a live M1 Garand back in the "good old days" before 1989. It was a really sturdy relieable rifle and I had no problems with it. I will try and find an old photo of it.

Cheers, Ade.

i used to own 2 m-1d"s and a Winchester made dated 1944,,sold them to pursue the german weapons i was more interested in,,besides,getting my thumb caught once in the garand was enough for me,,,

Ah yes the Garand can easily bite back! I don't think I ever did that, but friends of mine got bitten!

For those not aware of how this can happen: when you load the 8 round en-bloc clip into the internal mag, once it is home, the bolt will fly forwards very quickly! You have to keep your thumb clear and the other one on the cocking handle.

Cheers, Ade.

Nice clean example you have there!

In it's time, it was the best military rifle made - IMO they still are !!
    ( Yeah, I got some skin pinched once too ! )

On the "M1Thumb" the secret they forgot to tell you is to keep the blade of your hand engaged with the operating rod. As the bolt moves forward, allow the rod to pivet (pivit?) your hand upwards, thus moving your thumb out of the way.
    Or maybe they just wanted us to see us get our thumbs smashed!

Glenn

PS: I almost smashed my thumb taking the pictures of myself!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M1 Garand Rifle   My M1 Garand Rifle  

My M1 Garand Rifle  

The manuals for these weapons describe the correct method for loading, which is pretty much how you've illustrated it, Mess Truck ! !

( that's "pivot" )

Thanks! I've gotten lazy with my spelling ever since I discovered "spellcheck."
    Glenn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast