Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

My NEW CMP M1 Garand Rifle!

Article about: thats an awesome rifle im saving up to get one from CMP for my reenacting but i wont have the money for a while

?

Default Re: My NEW CMP M1 Garand Rifle!

Yes they did and here is an example of their cartouche.
    pic's 9 and 13 down in this Guns america article.
    Buying Garands from CMP – Civilian Marksmanship Program – Part 2

Man they just don't make things easy for us guy's do they!!!!
    So what about the Lock Bar sights, Did you ask for them?

@ AZPhil
    By size I meant M2 ball because I know and have seen people shoot 30-06 "reloads" and smaller grain commercial ammo in garands which as you said can do that or blow the gas plug like I have seen. The garand is only meant to fire rounds with in a certain grain ~68 which is is the (size) I'm referring too. I did not say 30-06?
    So I think I did enough research? I did not want to start a new thread on it.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    So what about the Lock Bar sights, Did you ask for them?
    All I did was stick a sticky note on my paperwork asking for a WWII receiver and a stock with "character". I guess that sticky note worked wonders!

?

It sure did. You got yourself a WINNER!

Joe...

Have you taken any measurements of the muzzle and the chamber throat dimensions? I can see a +1 and +2 on the tag but not sure how to relate that to the chamber and muzzle throat. Inquiring minds want to know on the other forum. Thanks.

Looking for help https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...olster-218812/

Quote by dastier View Post
    Joe...

Have you taken any measurements of the muzzle and the chamber throat dimensions? I can see a +1 and +2 on the tag but not sure how to relate that to the chamber and muzzle throat. Inquiring minds want to know on the other forum. Thanks.

Looking for help https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...olster-218812/
    Unfortunately, I've been stuck at work and unable to play with my Garand more than just snapping quick pictures, exploring the markings, loading an enbloc with dummy rnds and making it "PING!", and gently removing some candle waxy substance from the buttplate.

Those markings on the tag are the only ones I have.... They're what the CMP provided and how they grade their rifles... the worse the readings, the less expensive the rifle.

?

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    I also got my rifle through the cmp, they are very good but you have to clean a few buckets of cosmoline out of the action and etc. Unless your barrel is in match grade I would not worry about the ammunition you use as long as its the right size, and you keep it clean. Corrosive ammo damages the barrel if you leave residue in the chamber or shoot it multiple times without cleaning. I would not use tracers though ... they do not like phosphorus
    IIRC tracer doesn't ignite until the projo leaves the barrel. I've shoot thousands of rounds over the years of tracer and have never seen it igniye until the projo was well down range.
    Great rifle Joe, congrats.

Quote by samnev View Post
    IIRC tracer doesn't ignite until the projo leaves the barrel. I've shoot thousands of rounds over the years of tracer and have never seen it igniye until the projo was well down range.
    Great rifle Joe, congrats.
    Thanks, Sam!

I visited a Garand expert yesterday and he tore apart and helped me clean my rifle. It was a very cool experience. He thought my rifle was in great shape and he said if given the opportunity, he'd purchase it in a heart beat!

He stated that the sights and trigger grouping were original to my rifle. Barrel and stock were probably replaced in 1950s. The operating rod had the semi-circular cut in it... but the reason for this escapes me...

The only thing he said that was bad about my rifle is that the Operating rod spring was a little worn and should probably be replaced.

We also discovered that the trigger grouping for my rifle was polished for the National Match. I guess it has the serial number of the receiver electropenciled onto it which is a tell tale sign...

i have 4 of these rifles. I have 2 from the CMP, 1 1941 British lend-lease. (Mint condition) and 1 1944 model I rebarreled for Shooting in local CMP matches. My CMP M1's look like yours. Great guns to own and shoot. You should see if your area has any CMP matches. They are 100 yard bullseye 3 -P matches. The guy that runs ours charges us $25.00 and gives us the ammo to shoot in the match. No awards. just bragging rights. It is great fun just to shoot these old war horses. Yours looks great!!!!!

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    i have 4 of these rifles. I have 2 from the CMP, 1 1941 British lend-lease. (Mint condition) and 1 1944 model I rebarreled for Shooting in local CMP matches. My CMP M1's look like yours. Great guns to own and shoot. You should see if your area has any CMP matches. They are 100 yard bullseye 3 -P matches. The guy that runs ours charges us $25.00 and gives us the ammo to shoot in the match. No awards. just bragging rights. It is great fun just to shoot these old war horses. Yours looks great!!!!!
    Thanks for the kind words! The gentleman who I met with is a legitimate Garand expert. He was awesome and taught me A LOT! I have a feeling I'll be spending more time with him and getting more involved with the Garand Collectors Assoc and also competitive shooting like the CMP matches.

Here he is checking out my new baby!
    My NEW CMP M1 Garand Rifle!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast