Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My New Enfield No. 5

Article about: I recently posted to another thread that I acquired a No. 5 "Jungle Carbine" thru an online auction. While I am quite pleased with the rifle's overall condition, I am unable to ver

?

Default My New Enfield No. 5

I recently posted to another thread that I acquired a No. 5 "Jungle Carbine" thru an online auction. While I am quite pleased with the rifle's overall condition, I am unable to verify its manufacturing date due to the fact that the etchings on the left side of the receiver are very faint. Does anyone on the forum know how I can date the rifle by the serial number or other marks? Photos below:

My New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5Bolt 2.JPGMy New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5

Default Re: My New Enfield No. 5

Made by ROF Fazackerley, Liverpool --the metal work appears to have been polished as the usual finish is a matt black-the receiver wall appears to have been scrubbed as that's where the maker and month/year data should be-the 'X' series no. makes it as post war 1946-47.

?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Made by ROF Fazackerley, Liverpool --the metal work appears to have been polished as the usual finish is a matt black-the receiver wall appears to have been scrubbed as that's where the maker and month/year data should be-the 'X' series no. makes it as post war 1946-47.
    So, can I assume that the "F" stands for Fazackerley?

I thought the receiver was polished also, thanks for confirming my suspicions. Was hoping that I could be able to read the serial number if I put a light to the area at an angle; didn't work.

What's odd though is that I looked at another No. 5 this past weekend and the metal work on that one was not matt black either, but not as highly polished as mine is. Plus the furniture had a glossy nature as mine does.

All in all, I can't complain too much since I basically stole the rifle for about half what they are selling for on line.

Thanks Lithgow!

There's only 2 makers for the No.5, Fazakerley or BSA Shirley (M47C markings)-the rifles are now all over 65 years old and have been much used and refnished by individuals and govts-mine is a ROF F serial AB79XX made 9/45.

?

Here are a couple more pics:

My New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5

?

Nice! I love my N0.5 - great to shoot! Enjoy!!!

?

I could be wrong but it seems to me the stock and hand guard has some kind or urethane or lacquer finish on it as both of mine have a matte non luster finish on the wood. Perhaps it is just the lighting.

?

Quote by samnev View Post
    I could be wrong but it seems to me the stock and hand guard has some kind or urethane or lacquer finish on it as both of mine have a matte non luster finish on the wood. Perhaps it is just the lighting.
    You are correct sir. I recently had the No. 5 refinished to bring it back to military specs:

My New Enfield No. 5My New Enfield No. 5

That looks like a nice set up
    Ben

?

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    That looks like a nice set up
    Oh, I can do one better:

My New Enfield No. 5

Been collecting Brit and Canadian kit for quite some time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast