Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield

Article about: Just thought I might post this one of mine. It is decativated due to the fact that my parents would not let me have a firing one...... yes I am only 12 years old! It is dated 1938, and does

Smile My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield

Just thought I might post this one of mine. It is decativated due to the fact that my parents would not let me have a firing one...... yes I am only 12 years old! It is dated 1938, and does anybody know the company of factory that produced this rifle (I saw some BM markings, but I do not know what they are)

Here it is:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield   My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield  

My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield   My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield  

Default Re: My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield

Hi
    Nice standard British Army N0 111* manufactured by BSA Birmingham Small Arms in 1938

There will be various stamping over the receiver and barrel, they would be proof marks. If you show them I might be able to identify. Armourers would stamp these on, to show if a barrel had been changed, or if owned by a civilian after the war, it would need a proof house mark. bit of a spotter really

One of the best rifles EVER!

Here are some more pictures of markings, if there are any others that you would like to see let me know.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield   My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield  

Crown over BM is a commercial proof mark that was used on rifles that were of military configuration, but were not themselves government owned. Looks like the numbers and letters that may tell us more are covered? should look something like this picture.

Nice rifle
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield  

NcPaint
    ?

Nice rifle. A helmet, sling and bayonet would finish it off for display.

HELMET_DOG
    ?

Small magazine lee enfield still the fastest bolt action in the world. Reliable,field tested,proven, 1888-1957 god bless the united kingdom.

Quote by HELMET_DOG View Post
    Small magazine lee enfield still the fastest bolt action in the world. Reliable,field tested,proven, 1888-1957 god bless the united kingdom.
    I was reading the other day that 180 british soldiers were firing SMLE MK IIIs at a German advance in WWI and the Germans reported that they were pinned by Machine Gun fire. They went on to say that 16 aimed rounds per minute could be fired by well trained WWI soldiers! Thats amazing considering the mag only holds 10 so you have to reload and aim....wow

John B.-- what piece of the gun is in the picture you took? So do you mean that this rifle was not used by the military?

John B. -- How do I get to those marking that are covered up by wood? (like you seem to have done.)

Remove bolt then magazine. Then raise the sight and remove the top handguard (be careful they are usually fragile) this allows you to see some of the marks and if you want to look under the barrel then remove thye sling swivles and the end with the bayonet lug (referred to sometimes as the nose cone). You will need to tap that off after you loosen the screws. I would use a piece of wood detween whatever you hit it with and the gun so you don't scratch it. Then remove the trigger guard. All of these are straight screws and if they don't loosen easily then be careful not to strip them. They can be fixed if that happens but its extra work! Post pics when you do find the markings!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast