Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My SKS

Article about: Johnnies posting made me dig out my Russian SKS for a cleaning as I hadn't thought to do that for the last 6 months or so as I havn't been shooting it! This is the one that got me started do

Default My SKS

Johnnies posting made me dig out my Russian SKS for a cleaning as I hadn't thought to do that for the last 6 months or so as I havn't been shooting it! This is the one that got me started down the gun collecting trail. My dad brought it home from Vietnam back in 1969 and I promptly confiscated it from him! He figuring I couldn't get ammunition for it so he didn't need to worry about me doing anything dumb! If only he knew

A couple of points about the rifle, I put a new sling on it as it didn't have one when my dad brought it home and it will only cycle if it is loaded with nine rounds! You load it, strip one round out and it shoots fine and dandy (though not too accurately) but if you try to shoot it with a full magazine it will sneer at you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ls.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	45247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	45248  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	45249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stripped.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	45250  

Default Re: My SKS

Gary,

Nice rifle, I like these but alas due to UK gun law will never use one again. They sit well in the shoulder (at least mine anyway) and are well made, I think better than AK as only semi auto forces more intellegent use. Nice hardware and with the family history!

Regards

Jock

evan9201
    ?

very interesting, I own a Chinese military sks not a norinco and it has a very dark stock (almost looks Russian). Try cleaning out the magazine or see if the mag spring is worn out.

Done and done about 30 years ago. It still sneers!
    Quote by evan9201 View Post
    very interesting, I own a Chinese military sks not a norinco and it has a very dark stock (almost looks Russian). Try cleaning out the magazine or see if the mag spring is worn out.

Gary, Great Russian SKS.. I have 4 Nam Bring Backs all Chicom made.. In 1970 there was not a bit of 7.62x39mm ammo except what was floating around Ft. Bragg from SF Weapons Tng. Group.. I had around 30 rounds ( original) and that was it...I found some red box Laupa ammo and some made from 7.35mm Italian rifle rounds.. It was not until the late 80 and early 90s that Kengs fire ams of Atlanta, Ga started bring in tons of the ammo at around 5 cents a round that you could realy take one out and play with it.. It...........BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Hi Bill,

Yep ammo was tough! I didn't get to shoot it till 1979 when I made some out of, you guessed it, some Italian brass. What a pain in the butt that was!

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    Gary, Great Russian SKS.. I have 4 Nam Bring Backs all Chicom made.. In 1970 there was not a bit of 7.62x39mm ammo except what was floating around Ft. Bragg from SF Weapons Tng. Group.. I had around 30 rounds ( original) and that was it...I found some red box Laupa ammo and some made from 7.35mm Italian rifle rounds.. It was not until the late 80 and early 90s that Kengs fire ams of Atlanta, Ga started bring in tons of the ammo at around 5 cents a round that you could realy take one out and play with it.. It...........BILL

Gary,If your Dad is still around it might not be a bad idea to get a letter notating the dates,how he came about it etc., when he brought it back from Nam. Something like capture papers.

Hello,

Yes that has all been done, of course it took me 20 years to figure out that it was prudent to do so, so the capture papers were a little torn up when he finally found them but the remnants are safely tucked away in a acid free holder. What is cool is he actually had the forsight (or just dumb luck) to have a picture taken with his trophy!

Cheers
    Gary

Quote by packin9 View Post
    Gary,If your Dad is still around it might not be a bad idea to get a letter notating the dates,how he came about it etc., when he brought it back from Nam. Something like capture papers.

That's great! You have a real gem there. That's something you can pass down down to you children and keep in the family. Do you think it possible to post the pic with your Dad and the rifle? All great stuff!! Ron

Yeah I can probably get the picture from him the next time I visit. Sadly he is a Luddite and has no computer or a desire to get one so it has to be done the old fashioned way!
    Quote by packin9 View Post
    That's great! You have a real gem there. That's something you can pass down down to you children and keep in the family. Do you think it possible to post the pic with your Dad and the rifle? All great stuff!! Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast