Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Type 14 Japanese Pistol

Article about: by lithgow Correctly called 'Taisho Type 14' pistol-Taisho was the name of the Japanese emperor at the time of the introduction of the pistol in 1926 in the 14th year of his reign-the figure

?

Default My Type 14 Japanese Pistol

This pistol and holster was obtained at the Cross Roads Gun Show in Phoenix, AZ about 16 years ago. I also have the tag showing who brought it back IIRC and will post it if and when I find it. I am getting scatter brained these days.

Last edited by samnev; 02-07-2012 at 10:18 PM.

?

Default Re: My Type 14 Japanese Pistol

A lovely piece , could i have a close up of the kanji and serial numbers please
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Quote by Alan M View Post
    A lovely piece , could i have a close up of the kanji and serial numbers please
    Alan,
    If I can get my macro lens to co-operate I would be happy to provide the photos you asked for. Please forgive my ignorance, I do not know which marking is the kanji.
    Regards,
    Sam

?

Hi Sam , if you can show the stamped markings on both sides that will be great
    REGARDS AL

Is that a nambu pistol?

?

Quote by brataccas View Post
    Is that a nambu pistol?
    brataccas,
    Yes it is. Full description would be Nambu Type 14
    Sam

?

Hi Sam , if you can show the stamped markings on both sides that will be great
    Hi Alan,
    I was proactive and decided to take pictures of all the markings figuring some of them had to be what you wanted. I also am including the property tag that was issued to the soldier during WW II. Enjoy, I hope this is what you wanted.

Correctly called 'Taisho Type 14' pistol-Taisho was the name of the Japanese emperor at the time of the introduction of the pistol in 1926 in the 14th year of his reign-the figures stamped on the slide are the number of years after 1926 and the month of production for the individual gun-an unusual feature of this and the Type 94 pistols. Saw one recently that was the best I have ever seen-unfired despite being a pre Pacific war example made July 1941-must have led a very quiet life in some one's desk drawer or quartermaster store.

?

Hi Sam , thanks for the close ups ( my eyes are going ) , well , your pistol was made at the Nagoya Arsenal , which is the symbol to the far left of the 5 digit serial no.35974 , the symbol directly to the right of the arsenal mark that looks like a circle with a square inside it ( the square is the Japanese Katakana , ro ) is a series designation and was used to keep serial nos. down to 5 digits , i.e. when they reached 100,000 they preceded the serial no. with a Katakana symbol , yours ( ro ) was for the second extra run of 100,000 so your pistol is actually number 235974. The symbol and numbers beneath the serial no. is the date of manufacture 19.5 and that is the year and month of the Showa era ( Emperor Hirohitos reign ) the first symbol is sho , short for Showa , the 19 indicates the 19th year of his reign ( starting at 1925 ) so this equates to 1944 and the 5th month , i.e. May 1944 . A lovely pistol Sam made even more appealing with the holster and bringback tag ,
    REGARDS AL

?

Hi Sam , thanks for the close ups ( my eyes are going ) , well , your pistol was made at the Nagoya Arsenal , which is the symbol to the far left of the 5 digit serial no.35974 , the symbol directly to the right of the arsenal mark that looks like a circle with a square inside it ( the square is the Japanese Katakana , ro ) is a series designation and was used to keep serial nos. down to 5 digits , i.e. when they reached 100,000 they preceded the serial no. with a Katakana symbol , yours ( ro ) was for the second extra run of 100,000 so your pistol is actually number 235974. The symbol and numbers beneath the serial no. is the date of manufacture 19.5 and that is the year and month of the Showa era ( Emperor Hirohitos reign ) the first symbol is sho , short for Showa , the 19 indicates the 19th year of his reign ( starting at 1925 ) so this equates to 1944 and the 5th month , i.e. May 1944 . A lovely pistol Sam made even more appealing with the holster and bringback tag ,
    Hi Alan,
    Glad to be of service. My eyes are going to that's why I have so much trouble using the macro lens. But yesterday was a good day so I was able to get some decent close ups. I thank you for the detailed history of my Type 14. Although I collect Japanese weapons and have quite a few I am not a student of them as I collect weapons of most countries. therefore a student of none.
    I will eventually take some photos of my Arisaka Type 99 that is all matching and complete with dust cover, monopod and winged sight and my all matching and complete Type 2 Paratrooper. Is there anything that you would like to have photos of? If so I will try to take them as it appears you are a student of Japanese firearms.
    Regards,
    Sam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast