Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My WWII Springfield Garand

Article about: 500 was alot of rounds but the simple truth of the matter was that I was pretty sick at the time and I really thought it might be the last time I would be able to shoot the thing, so I let h

Default Re: My WWII Springfield Garand

500 was alot of rounds but the simple truth of the matter was that I was pretty sick at the time and I really thought it might be the last time I would be able to shoot the thing, so I let her rip. I wasn't too beat up shooting it but it was a bit cold and I had about 7 magazines so my fingers were getting worn out loading them. I imagine if my 1911 was 100% correct I wouldn't shoot it cuz I probably wouldn't had bought it. I want to shoot them. I have alot of respect for the soldiers that carried that big heavy M1, I carried an M16 when I was in and the 16 was so much lighter, Well those guys were "the Greatest Generation" after all. I really do like your rifle, I see rifles like that and I find myself wanting one. A few years back you could pick a M1 up for next to nothing, that's not the case anymore.

green with envy
    Mike

Default Re: My WWII Springfield Garand

I really hope you're feeling better Mike, I remember you talking about being sick. You're right, the Garand is heavy as an anchor, but it got the job done. Amazing how they went from crafted wood stocks to plastic in less than 15 years. I had an older gentleman telling me about how he used to go to Montgomery Wards years ago, and they had M-1 Garands shoved barrel first down in 55 gallon drums in the sporting goods section. He said the drum had a sign that said "Your Pick $40.00". Those days are gone forever. I wish you many more days of happy shooting Mike. Thanks again.

Jay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12