Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with a French Military AN XIII Flintlock Pistol

Article about: Hey all, Need some assistance on this French AN XIII pistol as it has me stumped, along with a lot of my friends and a military museum curator. The Crown over W is one I have never seen befo

Default Need help with a French Military AN XIII Flintlock Pistol

Hey all,

Need some assistance on this French AN XIII pistol as it has me stumped, along with a lot of my friends and a military museum curator.

The Crown over W is one I have never seen before. I was told by a very competent military museum curator that this could possibly be the first proof mark of the King William I kingdom (1814), and possibly showed ownership of the Dutch government. I have not seen the other markings either. The one that looks like a small L, is seen all over the gun so then I assume that it is an inspectors mark. I think the X on the Skull Crusher butt cap means that it was not accepted by the inspector, but again not sure. If this was not accepted then it would make sense why the maker mark is not present, such as St. Etienne or other.

Anyone have any ideas?

Here are some more photos with the L or what ever it is.

The Dutch naval pistol of model 1818 was a copy of this french weapon. Dutch naval pistols were marked with two crossed anchors near the rear and on top of the barrel. The tang was marked with the model designation: M1818. Sometimes a belt hook was present.

Inspector markings on Dutch arms were of a different font. The year of manufacture was placed on the barrel in the French fashion. The crowned W might also be read as a crowned I N.

In this case the barrel is marked 1813, which makes it almost impossible to be a Dutch naval pistol of the Model 1818, for obvious reasons.

Nevertheless anything is possible. The early 1800's Dutch firearms were manufactured in Liege, then a part of The Netherlands. Left over barrels from the French era might have been used. The Dutch inspectors were very strict, though.

If I had to put money on it, I would bet: not Dutch.

Cheers,
    Emile

Hey Emile,

Thank you for that input. Yes indeed, it could be something other than Dutch. As I said I have never seen that proof mark before and was just going on what the military museum curator said. But he to stated that he had never seen it before and that this was just a guess.

This model was used up until the 1840's and then converted to percussion, and you are so correct in that these were all over Europe during those times, and also some in the USA.

Maybe someone else will let us know if they have seen this before and knows what it is for sure.

Jeff

Let's not be too hasty in discarding the Dutch connection. That royal monogram cypher I believe is in fact that of William I-III of Netherlands and Luxembourg. The left arm of the "W" is not well struck so invisible.

Need help with a French Military AN XIII Flintlock PistolNeed help with a French Military AN XIII Flintlock Pistol

I was too hasty in my conclusion. King William I royal cyphers are depicted here. He was King of the Kingdom of The Netherlands (today's Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg) from 1814 till his abdication in favour of his son William II in 1840.

Still, the pistol is an enigma to me. The marking is not the common one at all. Possibly a pistol that came from French stock and was used before the production started on the official M1818 naval pistol?

Cheers,
    Emile

Undoubtedly a French made pistol in Dutch service. Not uncommon for the arms of one European nation to end up in the armoury of another, be it from contracts or war time capture. The Prussians made bayonets for the French, captured them in 1870 and modified and used them themselves.

Thanks for the info Anderson and I think you are guys are correct.

I got the gun today and was able to take a better look and it, and she is a real beaut!

So I think that the originating origin is solved, now can we figure out the rest of the story? It has the weird inspectors mark on many parts of the gun, which I have never seen before either. See photos below.

But it lacks the normal marks that you usually see on the mle 13. There is normally a number or crown inspector mark on the front band, trigger guard and other places, but there is nothing here or just that weird mark, for lack of better terms for it.

So here is my theory, again back to the X marks on the brass skull crusher cap. I think those were placed there because it did not pass the governments approval. Therefore it never went any further and never received any of the normal Military marks.

I also think that means that this gun was never in Military use and was sold on the private market. What do you guys think about that theory?

I have made some more photos and found what appears to be the badge in the wood but very hard to make out. This is important to what period.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with a French Military AN XIII Flintlock Pistol   Need help with a French Military AN XIII Flintlock Pistol  

Need help with a French Military AN XIII Flintlock Pistol   Need help with a French Military AN XIII Flintlock Pistol  

Need help with a French Military AN XIII Flintlock Pistol   Need help with a French Military AN XIII Flintlock Pistol  

Difficult to be sure what the "X" signified. It could have been marked for repair, or categorized for some other reason, or a sign of withdrawal from service.

Yes your right, could be any of those and pretty much have the same results. I just have to write a description for the auction and I want to be accurate.

Also, anyone that would like to see it up close and personal, we will have it on Display at our booth at the War & Peace Show in Kent. We will be at "J5", so please stop by. Maybe if someone could see it in person they could tell us more or see something that I am not seeing. I will be making a thread in our Dealers corner with more info on our Special War & Peace Auction.

Thanks to everyone that replied and for all the input! I will keep this thread updated if I find out more.