Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help identifying revolver

Article about: Hello, Recently, I came into possession of this old revolver which my grandfather brought back from World War II. As he is not with us anymore, we are unsure of how and where he obtained it,

Fhqwhgads2limit
    ?

Default Need help identifying revolver

Hello, Recently, I came into possession of this old revolver which my grandfather brought back from World War II. As he is not with us anymore, we are unsure of how and where he obtained it, and would love to know any and all possible information about it.

The Pistol is just over 6" long, and 3 3/4" tall, it's barrel has "Ka.. 380" inscribed on it (We assume it's caliber .38), Just above the cylinder there are the words "Arminius" and "Dejtsche-Industrie", the handle is made of wood, and has the face of who we assume to be Arminius, On the Cylinder/crane/the bolt holding the cylinder/ and the cylinder guard all have the number "467" on them (we dont know what this means). Also on the bottom is what we assume to be a serial number...

Lastly, the barrel, Frame and Cylinder all have an odd marking that looks like two crowns on top of each other, and a "U" under them

Any help you could offer is GREATLY appreciated as me and my family have tried for days now to find information on this pistol
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help identifying revolver   Need help identifying revolver  

Need help identifying revolver   Need help identifying revolver  

Need help identifying revolver  

appie
    ?

Default Re: Need help identifying revolver

Hi there. The revolver is a Arminius cal 38 revolver, a German factory that still produces weapons today. Well known for their quality rifles as it goes.
    The marking on top is not Dejtsche but DeUtsche, the J is an U.
    I think it is much earlier than wwII, and it is not an official military revolver, and certainly not an official German WWII revolver. The only three revolvers used by the German troops were a few "Beutewaffens"; the Webley, Lebel and the Nagant.
    I think its late 19th century, not suitable for nitro munition, but could be used as a unofficial personal side arm in WWI. If you are very sure it was brought home as a war souvinir in WWII, it might have been used at the end of WWII for the Volkssturm. In that case it could fire .38 cal Webley munition, if it is certified to fire nitro munition.

Nice souvenir you have there from your Grandfather.It reminds me of the not so restrictive gun laws under Hitler. There are a lot of bring backs. The GI's etc. were quite amazed at all the weapons the civilian population had.Not so much military but private owned.A lot of nice shotguns and such were 'liberated' from the populace.I bet a lot of attics closets have some nice secrets. Great to have something like that to pass down!

rowdy816
    ?

Could anyone please help identify this revolver. My great uncle brought it back from WWII and was given to my dad after his death. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The barrel has a name that starts with an "s" but I forgot what it was. The emblem on the upper grip looks like an "H"

Probably a Spanish copy of the S&W .38. There were many factories and workshops that produced these revolvers in that period, early 20th century.
    Might have been produced for France in WW1, Cal. 8mm Lebel, and taken by your great uncle from a German soldier who no immediate use for it anymore.

Cheers,
    Emile

The H on the grip could be part of the firm's logo. It could stand for Hermanos (Bros.) or Hijos (Sons). There should be another letter combined with the H. There was an anbundance of revolver workshops in the Spanish Basque region.

It is not easy to identify this revolver without the proper reference books, which I don't have.

Maybe somenone else, Bill Grist maybe?
    Cheers,
    Emile

As Emile states.. The pistol is a Spanish copy ... It is the Spanish copy of a Smith&Wesson Military & Police Revolver.. They were made in many calibers 32/20, 38 S&W, 38 Long, 8mm Lebel..There were many manufacturs of this type of Revolver in the Eibar, Spain area.. One of the most proflic manufacture was Guisasola Hermanos... More than likely the 'H' on the pistol. Usually the cal. was marked on the barrel in large letters .38 Smith&Wesson, so the buyer would think he was purchasing a S&W pistol....Large quanties of Spanish Revolvers and Tremendous quanities of .32 Cal. 'RUBY' Semi Auto pistols were purchased by the French in WW1.....Hope this helps some...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...