Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Need help identifying rifle.

Article about: Hello, I have come across this rifle that was pulled off the battle field somewhere in France during world war 2. The balance, fine sights, and the set and hair trigger leads me to believe i

Charlie7
    ?

Default Need help identifying rifle.

Hello,
    I have come across this rifle that was pulled off the battle field somewhere in France during world war 2. The balance, fine sights, and the set and hair trigger leads me to believe it is some sort of sniper's rifle. That is as much as I have been able to find out about this rifle. Does anyone have any additional information for me? Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help identifying rifle.  

Default Re: Need help identifying rifle.

By the trigger assembly and open sights, it is a target rifle.
    I do not believe there is any military or
    'battlefield' connection.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I believe it could have been one of the thousands of Mausers sent to the states and then sporterized. I have owned two of them in the past, but sadly let them slip away. just a thought.

regards

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    By the trigger assembly and open sights, it is a target rifle.
    I do not believe there is any military or
    'battlefield' connection.
    I agree with WALKWOLF no military connection it has been cut down though (sporterized). ERIC.

I own a french service rifle. if you wan't to check if it was a service rifle, check the stock for either a factory stamp. the rifles number and the letter infront of it. Your rifle has several letters with crowns on them, i don't know what they stand for but my carbine has the same on the stock except its the letter H. Although the french army mainly had lebel rifles and Berthier carbines (like mine) there may have been a chance of other rifles being included. plus i've never seen a service rifle with double triggers.

Military stock, sporterized. The barrel has been changed as well, should be stepped for a military Mauser. Most likely a WW2 Kar98k that has been sporterized. The trigger assembly is civilian as well.

The Mauser is a very popular hunting rifle. Thousands have been adapted in the US and in Europe as well.

Actually for it being a Kar98k of WW2 vintage it should be marked with a WaffenAmt stamp. A few eagles with swastika's should show as well.

On the other hand it might be a Kar98A of WW1 vintage. More likely I should think.

Cheers,
    Emile

The proof marks are from the Suhl gunmaking area in East Germany dating from 1950 - 1992.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hello-hunting rifles were used by some Volksturm (Home Guard) soldiers at the end of the war in Germany but you wouldn't see any of them in France-and as Big Ned has stated above the rifle is a post WW2 example of the Mauser action in any case.

Its a shame for original firearms to be sporterised, i reckon it gets rid of their character and makes them look like just another hunting rifle from the Gunstore rack

fusilier
    ?

Hi there, your rifle, is a post war sporterised mauser, with double set trigger, very poular after the second world war, i think the proof marks are correct with what our friend says post war, Tim.