Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help m98 mauser

Article about: Recently ran upon this beautiful Mauser m98. Belongs to a friend who was told by his father that his uncle brought it back at the end of WW2. However it has been sporterized. I have had no l

Default Need Help m98 mauser

Recently ran upon this beautiful Mauser m98. Belongs to a friend who was told by his father that his uncle brought it back at the end of WW2. However it has been sporterized. I have had no luck tracing any of the markings or history of the weapon. Barrell has been reparked, receiver has been polished and reblued and has "Standard Model" stamped on the left side and "Mauser" stamped on the rop of the receiver where the codes and date would usually appear. However on the side of the receiver are several proofs B with Crown, G with Crown, U with crown and N with crown. Serial number B66851. Any help with identifying if WW1 or WW2, date of mfg and possibly when it would have been converted from military to a sporter.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help m98 mauser   Need Help m98 mauser  

Need Help m98 mauser   Need Help m98 mauser  

Need Help m98 mauser  

Default Re: Need Help m98 mauser

This is called a "banner" or "Standard Modell" 98 these were (approx.1933) Pre WWII production & It is hard to say when it was sporterized This happened to alot of bring -back 98's..This is still a sought after model by collectors ...even in the condition seen.. if the front military sight is still intact it could still be converted to original configuration..

Sturmtruppe,
    Thanks for the prompt response. Will keep plugging away and hopefully will get to the bottom of this weapon.
    Terry

The crowned letters on the receiver are german commercial proof marks.
    The latin B in front of the serial number makes me suspect it's a rifle for foreign sale, it's (originally) not intended for the german army.

Jean