Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need Information On An M1 Carbine

Article about: I have an M1 Carbine here that i want to find out a little more about it like where it has been and who used it... On the top of the barrel it says: INLAND MFG.DIV. GENERAL MOTORS 5-44 The s

Default Need Information On An M1 Carbine

I have an M1 Carbine here that i want to find out a little more about it like where it has been and who used it...

On the top of the barrel it says: INLAND MFG.DIV. GENERAL MOTORS 5-44

The serial number is: 5193754

Can anyone help me?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Information On An M1 Carbine   Need Information On An M1 Carbine  

Default Re: Need Information On An M1 Carbine

Hi,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Just by the serial number it is impossible to know who exactly used it (marines, Army, etc). The M1 carbine was produced until august 1945 so all M1s are WWII weapons, they could have been used by any branch of the armed forces. To my knowledge, there are no tables relating serial numbers to manufactue dates, as with the M1 rifle. Inland was the largest manufacturer of M1 Carbines.

Most of the M1 carbines suffered several refurbishments after the war. For example, the front barrel band suffered a modification so an M4 bayonet could be attached to the carbine. Yours does not have that bayonet lug, so we can say it is pre-november 1944 which is consistent with the barrel date you mention in your post.

This goes on for each part of the weapon. Modification of parts were made throughout the war, so collectors look for every single part and its variations to know if they have a "correct" M1 Carbine.

I hope to have cleared at least some of your questions.

Regards,

Gus

By the way, the sling in the photo is not correct for the M1 (at least a WWII carbine).

Regards,

Gus

Thanks for the information, i would really like to find out more personal info about my guns like where they have been and who used it...

Nice GI M1 Carbine.. They were issued to every branch of USA Military service...They also saw service in Korea, Viet-Nam and many were given to foreign countries after WW2,, Italy, Greece, Korea, Denmark, Viet-Nam, Germany, France, Just to name a few...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Bill is right, it was widely used in many countries after WWII. Bear in mind that some 6,200,000 units were manufactured of this nice weapon!

I recommend you to buy specific books on the weapons you want to investigate. Even though it is impossible to know the whos and wheres, you might as well have some context about what happened to your weapon by finding out the modifications and refurbishings it suffered throughout its history.

Regards,

Gus

Okay, so you can probably judge who made it by the "General Motors" with the serial number. A very nice example of a carbine, did you get it from the CMP- I'm getting a few Garands from them.

I bought it at a militaria and gun show in Norway on march 2.