Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New spec VS old spec , what are your views ...

Article about: by Scout Well Said. Fight to keep that right for as long as you can. Once its gone, its gone. Although yours is a bolt action rifle, Its great that some private citizens can enjoy full-autos

Default Re: New spec VS old spec , what are your views ...

Quote by Scout View Post
    Well Said.
    Fight to keep that right for as long as you can. Once its gone, its gone.
    Although yours is a bolt action rifle, Its great that some private citizens can enjoy full-autos.Just one country left.
    Its fantastic to be able to go to Knob Creek MG shoot. Thats keeping history alive for you.
    Also food for thought, that you have to be strictly law abiding to keep these; one bad move and your full-autos are gone. Ironic, that ignorant people are afraid of thse guns in the hands of caretakers who by definition toe the line.
    Have fun.
    Now go shoot it!

No strip - no fun. Sounds like a sig line, if I ever heard one. Words to live by
    I agree with you a 100% and the sad fact is people want to take the United States and mirror the laws of Europe. The NRA is fighting to keep the right to own firearms all of kinds. They are actually the largest lobby organiation in the US. I'll post some pics of the K98 sometime this afternoon!

No Strip- No Fun.... needs to be on a t-shirt in a gunshop!

?

Look forward to pics of the rifle. The K98 is a true firearms classic.

NCA
    ?

The over riding factor for me is cost.Old spec=£££'s, new spec slightly more affordable...problem is in my opinion new spec just leaves you with a gun shaped paperweight.Its nice to pull it apart and make the clicky noises!

?

NCA I agree with you there but some of those old de-acts are bloody pricey to say the least!!! I would rather have a paper weight than none!! Cheers Terry

Only submachine guns and assault rifles are welded solid, although there are changes to other types, they can be partially stripped.The differences in a bolt action rifle are negligible as an example.

New spec VS old spec , what are your views ...New spec VS old spec , what are your views ...New spec VS old spec , what are your views ...Well; here are some pics of my K98 for those who wanted to see. As it seems bucks seem to be the issue with all collecting lately!

Sorry to jump your thread; just replying to scout.

?

Very nice, thanks. Looks to be in fine condition. These are really nice rifles. You should make a seperate thread on this, if you have any info on it.
    Yeah, sorry for going OT - my fault.

I have to say that I much prefer the older deactivation specs. I don't think that the newer specs affect bolt action rifles as much (I may be wrong), but they totally destroy historical weapons, especially assualt rifles, pistols, submachine guns and such like. The newest specs in the UK basically allows you to pull the trigger, that is all. There isn't even a bolt left, everything is welded shut. I guess it is fine if you just need a display item, but it destroys the 'feel' of a weapon otherwise.

I only have two deact revolvers, a S&W Military & Police .38 deactivated to the newer specs in 2010, and a Colt Police Positive .38S&W deacted to the older spec in 1994. The 1994 spec was about twice the price of the 2010 spec.

The Colt has clear chambers and you can load inert ammo. The S&W has a great big rusted plug welded into the cylinder. Both cylinders have been cut into, but the old spec is more sympathically done. Both barrels are blocked, the Colt has a pin in it, the S&W has a big welded blob in it. Both hammer spurs are trimmed and the firing pin mechanisms are gone, but the Colt is a nice tactile historical weapon. The older specs are more carefully deactivated, the newest deactivation seem very brutishly done. So, for me, if I decide to buy another deact I would pay extra for the older specs.

Attachment 423812Attachment 423813Attachment 423814Attachment 423815Attachment 423816Attachment 423817

Sometimes the bigger problem is the individual carrying out the deactivation. I have seen new spec revolvers deactivated with good quality cuts and welds that look better than old spec guns with obvious over kill beyond the spec required of the time. Granted, with new spec you cant insert rounds but at least thats hidden compared to milling a slot in the barrel or hacking bits of hammer off some old spec guns. I tend to go for old spec, but have some new specs that I bought due to the quality of deac work and if theres somthing nice about it. This is a 1929 Mk1 Enfield, its number 42 which makes it a very early gun, I normally wouldn't have bothered with a new spec but as it was 1929 I had to.

I have to agree over the quality of deactivation carried out on some weapons. I have just recently purchased a Luger which was deactivated in June 2012. And I must say that the work has been carried out very neatly indeed. There isn't a trace of a slot to be seen on the underside of the barrel. Even the London Proof House were very considerate in the placing of the proof house stamps. There isn't one to be seen anywhere - until you strip the pistol down. The only sign of deactivation from the outside is when you look down the barrel and see the steel insert. In the past I have seen many pre-95 weapons that were absolutely butchered.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast