Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New spec VS old spec , what are your views ...

Article about: by Scout Well Said. Fight to keep that right for as long as you can. Once its gone, its gone. Although yours is a bolt action rifle, Its great that some private citizens can enjoy full-autos

?

Default New spec VS old spec , what are your views ...

Hello all,

Just thought I'd see what other members think about the new spec and old spec guns , is it worth paying up too double for a gun so you can cock it ? Do you only buy old spec ? Could they change the law where old spec guns must be brought up to new spec ?

Kind regards
    Alex

?

Default Re: New spec VS old spec , what are your views ...

I'm not too familiar with the details of guns. I've only shot a few shotguns and airguns at shooting ranges, though I'd like to get a license. Could someone explain the difference between old spec and new spec for future reference?

Cheers,
    Nitram

?

Hi Nitram,

Old spec guns are guns that are deactvated befor 1995 , this means you are able to cock and dry fire them as well as fild strip them . Guns deactvated after 1995 are new spec with means they are welded up a lot more most will not cock and can't be fully fild striped , manny Deac guns now have little or now moving parts .

On this basis old spec guns cost considbrly more than new spec ...

Kind regards
    Alex

Nitram, 'new and old spec' has to do with deactivated weapons, and what
    particular areas have been altered to make them leagal or non-firing.
    Earlier pieces were left with some functions left intact, such as
    cocking the piece, etc.

EDIT - Alex has beat me to it.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Ah! Thank you for the information.

Nitram

mpw
    ?

Interesting question and I don't have the answer only more questions! I'm sure there are many collectors that have old spec deactivated firearms, me included. So as far as I know these didn't necessarily come with a certificate where as new spec I believe do come with a certificate. So, can a old spec deactivated fire arm be sold without a certificate and if not what is the procedure of obtaining one? For me part of the enjoyment of owning an old WW2 firearm is occasionally striping it down and understanding the mechanics of it.

Mark.

?

I think, it would matter a great deal to most, to have an old-spec over a new-spec deactivated gun.

?

I agree with you Scout i would have an old de-act anyday over a new!!! But im trying to buy a MP40 some of the old 1s go £2300 plus.. it is quite hard to new 1s but i have seen 1 for £1150.. thats a big diffrence in pennies.......!!!!!! Me im not too fussed about stripping them i just like the feel & look.. The odd ambush of the Missus when she gets from work!!!!.. So it want you can afford !!!!!! Terry....

I personally prefer old spec as they are as near to original as legally possible. They are seen by some to be an investment as the deac market was still in its infancy in1995, approx 7 years and it was only really in 1989/90 that it became popular, infact it was only in 88/89 they became a class of their own. Prior to that they were guns that could not safely be proof fired and came with a modified 'Proof' certificate, after that they became a recognised catogory and began to be issued with deactivation certs.

I've just checked some of my Birmingham certs and I've a 1986 and 87 'Proof' cert and from 1989 I have a few 'Deac' certs and the serial number on the earliest is 3245 from July 11th 1989, from 14th July 1995 I have serial number 66676 for a STEN Mk5 (Old spec), so in 6 to 7 years there were at least 66676 deactivations, thats not really alot so its a very limited quantity for a very large market. I cant figure out the new serial number sequences so I can't be sure but there must be hundreds of thousands of new spec by now. I'd imagine that there are many rare SMGs and Auto rifles that are even rarer as Old spec. ie STEN Mk1, MP41 etc.

?

Quote by Tango View Post
    I agree with you Scout i would have an old de-act anyday over a new!!! But im trying to buy a MP40 some of the old 1s go £2300 plus.. it is quite hard to new 1s but i have seen 1 for £1150.. thats a big diffrence in pennies.......!!!!!! Me im not too fussed about stripping them i just like the feel & look.. The odd ambush of the Missus when she gets from work!!!!.. So it want you can afford !!!!!! Terry....
    That is a big difference in pennies alright!!!!

I hope your Missus has a well developed sense of humour

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast