Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

NEW UK/EU Deactivated firearm legislation Dec 2019

Article about: The Firearms Regulations 2019 Something to try and get you’re head around. The legislation created on the 28th October and laid before Parliament on the 31st October before coming into effec

Unless these new laws are made more widely known, there will be an awful lot of collectors breaking the law. With regards to the bit of the law which covers arms purchased before September 2018 not coming into effect until March 2021, it sounds suspiciously like the authorities have something planned for these earlier deactivated weapons to be brought up to the later 2018 and onwards specifications. The ownership of 'defectively deactivated' weapons will finally be solved!

I don't know much at all about European fire arms regulation but why is it only now that they are going after deactivated fire arms? Collecting deactivated arms seems to be a really niche section of collecting (or at least it is in America) and I can't imagine this is going to make the EU much money. Also isn't there already laws about how arms should be deactivated in order to make them legal to sell.

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    I don't know much at all about European fire arms regulation but why is it only now that they are going after deactivated fire arms? Collecting deactivated arms seems to be a really niche section of collecting (or at least it is in America) and I can't imagine this is going to make the EU much money. Also isn't there already laws about how arms should be deactivated in order to make them legal to sell.
    For the same reason the EU introduces most of its pointless legislation. It wants to look like it's accomplishing something in the public eye, without having to lift a finger in reality. They implement laws and regulations which will have little to no actual effect on the criminal element, and which will only affect the law-abiding, for the soul purpose of justifying their bloated, convoluted bureaucratic system of governance.

Basically: 'Hey, look guys! We're doing something useful, honest! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!'

It's a circus.

B.B.

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    This is one of the big draw backs of the EU where they create legislation to cover all member states and inevitably appear to use a sledge hammer to crack a nut. This all came about following the Charlie Hebdo attacks in France where the terrorists used deactivated guns that they had legally bought in Slovakia. Unfortunately Slovakian deactivation was very slack and apparently they were reactivated in less than an hour. The U.K. deactivation was very good at the time and had been for a while with no chance of reactivation. As you state, this is a niche market, so when it came to new legislation who was going to listen to a few thousand people when it doesn’t effect the majority of population. To give you example of how ill thought out the initial EU law was my U.K. specification have become illegal, however, I can own them but cannot sell them, give them to anybody or bequeath them unless they are brought up to EU specification. If I did sell them, give them away, etc only I would commit the offence but not the person who now owned them. To confuse matters in the U.K. I can’t own a replica gun. I could buy a deactivated AK-47 but not a replica one as I am not a reenactor or involved in the movie industry. I could buy a realistic toy AK-47 in bright orange but the moment I sprayed it black I would commit an offence as it would be classed as a replica firearm. Despite all of this I could own an obsolete calibre gun with no licence or any of the issues that deacts appear to have, however, the moment someone made bullets for it it would no longer be obsolete calibre and thus become illegal. Confused?

If there is one thing that is consistent about the politics of today, it is that none of it makes any sense at all! It's like living in a never-ending Monty Python sketch, especially wherever the EU is involved. At least Monty Python has the good grace to be funny in the process of being nonsensical.

B.B.

The problem with new legislation has been ongoing for some time. Tony Blair's government created more than 3,000 new criminal offences during its nine-year tenure, one for almost every day it had been in power. This has pretty much been continued with the most recent Governments and topped up by the EU. The issue has been that every bit of legislation and law has been rushed through creating loop holes which then mean that more legislation has to be created to close them. An example is the recent issue surrounding using your mobile phone whilst driving, the original legislation didn’t account for using your phone as a non communication device, thus creating the loop hole. The stupid thing is that there has been legislation in place for a long time regarding distractions whilst driving, I.e eating and drinking behind the wheel, etc but depending on what offence you are sent to Court for and what defence you give depends on whether you get convicted or not.
    Apparently the thing to do if you are an MP and want your piece of law put through Parliament is to do it last thing on Friday which is when there is hardly anybody there and it’s not contested. That way you can come away and tell which ever lobby group asked you to change the law that you’d done your bit. Some MP’s have challenged this, there was a furore back along when an MP challenged a new ‘upskirting’ (taking photos up a ladies, or mans, or non gender specific non binaries skirt) law. There was a lot of negative press at the time, however, when it was properly debated loopholes were discovered and rightly amended before the law was created.
    Of course none of this changes the fact that I had a deactivated gun collection worth about £5k that is now worth nothing and I’m likely to have to hand it all over in a few years. I’m going to bed now to cry softly into my pillow whilst dreaming of the days of yesteryear.

Registering a de-actived firearm is laughable. By definition it is no longer a "fire arm" but a lump of steel that looks like one. So for consistency they would also have to register replica guns that don't fire, made from metal and plastic. As always the red tape is designed to make the law abiding to give them up due to cost and hassle.
    Mean while the crims are unconcerned and unaffected.

Sounds like the politicians are as bright as a three watt lightbulb. Passing new restrictions on already deactivated firearms is simply ridiculous. Often these idiots have to find a reason for being so like stated above come up with more nonsense gun restrictions. Always punish the innocent while criminals just laugh.

Liberals are liberals the world over.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Every day, I find the idea of emigrating to the States becomes more and more appealing. If only it was that easy...

B.B.
    If ya do and settle in the northeast Brodie I will take you to my club where I will let ya shoot my deer rifles plus my dad's 98k bringback! Ya might like clay bird target shooting too.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast