Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

No 5 and .410 musket

Article about: Here are a few pictures of my Fazakerly No 5 Mk 1 dated 2/45 with Wilkinson No 5 bayonet. Anyone have an idea about the F M P stamp? and my .410 musket, still in the original configuration.

Default No 5 and .410 musket

Here are a few pictures of my Fazakerly No 5 Mk 1 dated 2/45 with Wilkinson No 5 bayonet. Anyone have an idea about the F M P stamp?

and my .410 musket, still in the original configuration. They converted alot of these to shoot the American 2.5 and 3 inch lengths. The bayonet didn't come with it, but it's Indian manufacture and it fits. Did the Indian police use bayonets with these rifles? I'm still figuring out my camera, the fill flash makes osme of the markings disappear, but it's an NWR stamped blade.

Default Re: No 5 and .410 musket

The bayo was made by North West Railways workshop at Moghulpura during WW2-the Indian police did use bayos as one of the main uses for one is crowd control and few places have bigger crowds...

Thank you Lithgow, that's very true about the crowds hehe

Hi,
    The No5, is a nice rifle i have always liked the jungle carbine, and the enfield to i have had an enfield bored out to .410
    they make a nice little shotgun, and fun to use. thanks for showing them.
    dave.

Some pics of my Ishapore .410 made from a London Small Arms made 1910 SMLE No.III.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No 5 and .410 musket   No 5 and .410 musket  

No 5 and .410 musket   No 5 and .410 musket  

Have you had much opportunity to use the .410 Dave? I've always liked the looks of the Smelly, and wish I had gotten one of the US conversions when I had the chance, just for the ease of finding the correct shells for it. I have some .303 brass and am going to try to make some shells for it. Do they still make shells for this Lithgow? Have you shot yours at all? That's a nice looking one, very clean. Thanks for sharing

Paul

Paul-no I don't shoot it-the ammo is impossible to get from India although if you denecked .303 brass you might be able to simulate it (with a low loading)-I bought that particular .410 as it was built with old parts but there were examples on the rack made from Indian SMLEs from 1945 that were almost brand new but I preferred one with 'character'.

It's so much nicer buying a gun at a show or store, waiting for that one in particular to "speak" to you, I know what you mean aobut "character" hehe I've even found one manufacurer who makes 2.25 in brass .410 shells, so when they are no longer on backorder, I'm going to order a few pieces and see how those work. There's a cartridge collector who goes to all of the shows around here who had 2 of the original shells. I have to find a light load to blow out the shoulders and neck, then I'll know how much taper will be left to the case in this chamber. That will be the hardest part, getting larger sized cards to seperate the powder and shot into a tapered case, and then keep everything seperated. I've found a few sites with info on how other people made some of these shells from .303 brass. This is the first time trying to make a round form scratch, for me, so I'm a little nervous lol