Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

No. 5 Mk. 1 Jungle carbine

Article about: Although not in the same condition as the rifle, I also have the bayonet. Ralph.

?

Default Re: No. 5 Mk. 1 Jungle carbine

Yep, these so called Jungle Carbine were notorious their kick, loudness and huge muzzle flash.
    Im surprised it took you five rounds to find out, that is wasnt suitable for hunting
    Im just kidding of course. Five rounds seems about right.
    First round: Ohhh my, was that one stuffed with too much powder!
    Second round: Wow, it really is nasty to shoot.
    Third round: Ohh okay, so the first two rounds were not flukes then.
    Fourth round: Ill fire an extra one just to make sure.
    Fifth round: To heck with this! Im only firing the fifth to say that I fired five rounds!!

Put this one out to pasture and only shoot it a couple of times a year.
    Then go buy a Ruger 77 for hunting.

No, not Indian, it's a Fazakerly, fairly early in the run too, Oct of '44 with a C prefix serial number and matching bolt. Other than the stock, it doesn't seem to have been messed with, all the parts you've shown still have the broad arrow markings, and the finish looks pristine. If you can find a No4 wood set, you might be able to make a stock set for this, if you can find the hardware. I haven't seen much at gunshows any more. Everything is drying up.

As Stinkpotpete has said, the OP No.5 is a Fazakely made rifle with markings on the side of the receiver (All Fazakely rifles were marked as such). No.5s with markings on the butt socket/wrist will have the M47C code which is BSA Shirley as per MarkVs photos.

Heres my unissued M47C

You guys surely know your stuff on these rifles. I had read about them in an old issue of American Rifleman some years back. Why did y'all want one, just for the history of them? After reading that article, if I ever had a chance to get one on the cheap, I was pretty sure it would only ever be a wallhanger. What attracted you to want one? Scout, Stinkpotpete and all y'all? I am just fascinated you guys would know their bad traits and want one. Good, interesting thread form some experienced guys, thanks!

Mark

?

You have me mistaken for someone else, Mark
    I was never attracted to the Jungle Carbine.
    I would never have said this in another mans firearms thread, but since you ask me directly; I think the Jungle Carbine quite ungainly and further more pretty useless as a shooter which the OP found out the hard way. No offence to the owner.

?

For me, getting a No.5 Mk.1 was just a natural part of collecting MILSURPS - I enjoy collecting WWI/II era firearms and shooting them. I look less for "perfect" collector hanger queens and more for ones that I can still enjoy putting a few rounds through. I'm especially drawn towards Enfields and Mosin Nagants - actually, have begun to consider spending some time and $$ on expanding my MN collection as a bit of a focus area. My recent 91/30 sniper purchase whet my appitite for these rifles again.

I have to say that I was surprised that my No.5 didn't kick as much as I expected based on the rumors. It is certainly less recoil than my Soviet M44 and, having fired my No. 1 Mk III*, one of my Mosin Nagant M 91/30s, my Finnish M39 and a German K98 along with the No.5, I thought the No. 5 was easier on my shoulder than the others.

In any case, this isn't a rifle that you'd just buy to hunt with or plink at cans with. But, if you want a piece of history - one that is repleat with fact and fiction - the N0.5 Mk I is a good pick, IMHO.

Unlike other folks, I was very much attracted to this beast.

Scout, I only read your post #21 on this thread and I guess just thought you had one. You gave good info on them though!

MarkV, thanks for the info. I have a Mosin Nagant, never fired it and now I don't know if I want to!

Thanks gentlemen!

Mark

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    No, not Indian, it's a Fazakerly, fairly early in the run too, Oct of '44 with a C prefix serial number and matching bolt. Other than the stock, it doesn't seem to have been messed with, all the parts you've shown still have the broad arrow markings, and the finish looks pristine. If you can find a No4 wood set, you might be able to make a stock set for this, if you can find the hardware. I haven't seen much at gunshows any more. Everything is drying up.
    Thank you very much for the information Paul!
    I also found the C stamp on the barrel. I believe the only thing that was done to it was to put the custom stock on. It is also missing the retaining ring for the fore stock.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 5 Mk. 1 Jungle carbine  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by kingtiger View Post
    You guys surely know your stuff on these rifles. I had read about them in an old issue of American Rifleman some years back. Why did y'all want one, just for the history of them? After reading that article, if I ever had a chance to get one on the cheap, I was pretty sure it would only ever be a wallhanger. What attracted you to want one? Scout, Stinkpotpete and all y'all? I am just fascinated you guys would know their bad traits and want one. Good, interesting thread form some experienced guys, thanks!

Mark
    Hello Mark,
    One of the reasons that I wanted this one was as I said, the condition and the year of production, quite early. Also, I believe that they they are rarer than any of the other versions of Lee Enfield 303.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by kingtiger View Post
    Scout, I only read your post #21 on this thread and I guess just thought you had one. You gave good info on them though!

MarkV, thanks for the info. I have a Mosin Nagant, never fired it and now I don't know if I want to!

Thanks gentlemen!

Mark
    Mark, no problem and thanks.
    Now, the Mosin-Nagant I really like.
    Certainly a rifle steeped in tradition and history.
    Further more, if it was good enough for Simi Häyhä, it sure is good enough for me!
    (Simo Häyhä: Over 500 confirmed and hundreds & hundreds uncomfirmed. Yes, I know he used a Suomi SMG for some of them).

Simo Häyhä. As can be seen, he caught a bullet in the face. That didnt slow him down.....much.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast