Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

No 5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine"

Article about: by sawman Hi sitges, Nice Jungle Carbine. I would'nt mind having one to go alongside my SMLE. M14 is right about the M95's recoil. The last time I fired mine it was pretty rough on my should

Default No 5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine"

Wanted to share my well used No 5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine" with you guys. It was made in the Fazakerley Factory July/1945. It's all matching but strangely has a BSA Shirley (M47C) front sight. Has the royal crown and F cartouches on the stock, along with crudely painted MS 4 BI.R painted on the right side of the stock, as you can see in the pictures. I have no clue what that MS 4 BI.R stands for so if any of you know, I'd sure appreciate anything you've got. It also has the letters H A stamped on the right side above the trigger guard. Must have been an inspector. I also finally found an original sling a few years back.

I'm sure most of you have heard about the wandering zero myth on this gun. IMO it is absolutely a myth. I've fired over 500 rounds through this gun at 200 and 300 yard intervals and never had a problem with accuracy. Your not gonna drive tacks with it but the wandering zero myth is bull. I firmly believe the myth was manufactured because the British military wanted to produce and use a semi-auto rife. It will knock you on your arse though.

I quickly wanted to ad the story of how I got it. A co-worker's dad died and he was selling me his dad's outboard motor. When I went to pick up the motor in a shed, this No 5 was hanging in the shed. I asked him who's it was and he said his grandfather brought it back from WWII. This knuckle head didn't ask what branch his grandfather was in, where he served, or where he got the gun, and we wonder how history is lost. Therefore I have no idea if the story is true, the history died with his grandfather and dad. He said he just left it in the shed because he was afraid of it. When I asked what he would take for it, he said, you can have it if you buy the motor. The rest is history, now I have a motor and a No 5.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No 5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine"   No 5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine"  

No 5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine"   No 5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine"  

Last edited by sitges1990; 02-19-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Default Re: No 5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine"

I keep getting the token security notice so I had to add additional pictures down here. I must add that I am sorry for being complicit in removing property of the crown to the US. I feel confident that a few of your brave British troops slipped a few M-1 Garands into their pack when returning home. Fair enough trade I would say.

Jay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No 5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine"   No 5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine"  

Here are a few more pictures. Sorry, I got confused and posted the same picture three time of the front site.

Nice Jungle Carbine. I agree with you about the wandering zero. Mine shoots just fine and others I've tried have done well, too. I don't find the recoil too bad, though. Certainly not as bad as a M95 carbine. Thanks for sharing.

?

nice carbine sitges, i would shoot it. i use to have a .303 mk4. it was fun to take to the range.
    andrew

Thanks Andrew and M14! Hey M14, I can't believe the recoil doesn't bother you. I guess I need to man up or gain some weight, or both. Man, I thought my K98 bucked. I was shooting a 174 grain bullet and I finally went to Wal Mart and bought one of those cheap slide on butt pads. (For the gun) Hey Andrew, we could have fun shooting ice off the ponds with it up there! As long as it's not too darn cold.

Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Thanks Andrew and M14! Hey M14, I can't believe the recoil doesn't bother you. I guess I need to man up or gain some weight, or both. Man, I thought my K98 bucked. I was shooting a 174 grain bullet and I finally went to Wal Mart and bought one of those cheap slide on butt pads. (For the gun) Hey Andrew, we could have fun shooting ice off the ponds with it up there! As long as it's not too darn cold.

Jay
    Don't get me wrong...I don't love the recoil but it is not as bad as others. Ha. That little Steyr M95 is a serious thumper. It never gets fired anymore. One of these days I will reload some lighter loads for it just to make it more manageable. All of my 8x56R is leftover Nazi marked stuff. But I have never fired the Jungle Carbine from the bench, so maybe that would change my mind about the recoil?

I hear ya M14. I haven't shot the M95, although like you, I have a boxed clip of the ammo with nazi markings. It was kinda funny. I found them at an antique store, and when I went up to pay for it, the guy running it said, "How the hell did that get in here? He didn't even know where he got it.

Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    I hear ya M14. I haven't shot the M95, although like you, I have a boxed clip of the ammo with nazi markings. It was kinda funny. I found them at an antique store, and when I went up to pay for it, the guy running it said, "How the hell did that get in here? He didn't even know where he got it.

Jay
    Nice find! Antique stores are the best.

Back in about 1992/93 someone gave me a case of some "odd" ammo that was 1938/39 dated and had Swastikas and Eagles on the headstamp. I thought it was cool, so packed it away. Then someone else gave me a case of the same ammo with no markings at all, but it was all wrapped in white paper. This case was marked "8x56R" on the side, which supported my suspicion about the caliber. I did some research and discovered the rifles it fed and figured one would show up some day. Then 7 or 8 years ago Big5 started selling the M95 carbines for $79, so I picked one up.

And I just realized that I have hijacked this thread. Ooops. Sorry.

?

Hi sitges, Nice Jungle Carbine. I would'nt mind having one to go alongside my SMLE. M14 is right about the M95's recoil. The last time I fired mine it was pretty rough on my shoulder. Cass

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast