Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

And now for something a bit different...

Article about: This rifle came into a local gun shop a while back. I expressed interest in it at that time but the shop's owner said he'd be keeping it for his collection. Last week he called me to say it

?

Default And now for something a bit different...

This rifle came into a local gun shop a while back. I expressed interest in it at that time but the shop's owner said he'd be keeping it for his collection. Last week he called me to say it was mine if I wanted it. It's a New Model Spencer rifle made in 1868 I think. It's in ok shape with a bit of the exterior case hardening still on the receiver and an excellent bore. It has Japanese kanji engraved on the receiver which I'm told read "#140 Meiji 27 (1894) Saga Prefecture". The rifle might have originally entered Japan to arm the forces of the Emperor Meiji during the Boshin War of 1868-69 fought against the Tokugawa Shogun. Later it migrated to Saga prefecture possibly to arm police or paramilitaries. Certainly something you don't see every day. Here are some pics.

And now for something a bit different...And now for something a bit different...And now for something a bit different...And now for something a bit different...And now for something a bit different...And now for something a bit different...And now for something a bit different...And now for something a bit different...

Certainly a true statement-that is,indeed, something abit different! Somehow, they all come home in the end, hey? A fine rifle, fit for anyone's collection.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I agree - It is a Nice piece. Do you plan on shooting it.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

An outstanding piece with a most interesting history.
    Cheers for posting it. Very enjoyable

Dave